Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Keep or Sell?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
352 Posts
For any one who might be curious
Actually this link shows more examples. Some of the auction titles are “2.5XT” or have STI in the title.

My favorite is the most recent one that sold.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,346 Posts
@Crosstreck1994#
OP has a rare vehicle from what I can see from posts on the Wanting To Buy Section and like I said previously, that vehicle has done all the depreciating it will do.

A newer vehicle will have plenty of depreciating still to do and could cost the owner a fortune in repairs in addition to the depreciation.

Simple Economics - Don't lose money if you don't have to.

Subarus don't really require any special tooling beyond camshaft tools. Any respectable enthusiast will have the majority of the tools required such as 1/2" 3/8 and1/4" Socket sets, 12 point socket for the head bolts and a few spanners in 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 and 22mm sizes. (Can't remember what I used the 22mm for but I remember having to buy one when stripping my engine) and hex bits in 5, 8, 10 and 14mm sizes...... The official Subaru workshop manual is available in addition to many many "How-To's" on this forum, YouTube and ofcourse Scoobymods.com as well as Nasioc and the other Subaru forums out there.

How do you think so called "Technicians" learnt or even how their teachers learnt? Where do you think technicians go for help on a specific model/problem they can't fix it through autodata etc ?

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Premium XV CVT
58 Posts
@Crosstreck1994# I don't know if you understand what sort of vehicle the OP has. This isn't just any old SG Forester. The '07-'08 XT Sports 5-speed is the Holy Grail of Foresters. Approximately 500 were imported to North America in '07 and 300 in '08. It's not the sort of car you throw up on Craigslist and sell to some 17-year old with $12K of mommy and daddy's money who will inevitably wrap it around a utility pole doing 130 in a residential neigborhood.

There's a LOT more than sentimental value at stake.
Fine, if it is as you say it is, it is a extremely rare, vintage automobile that is a collectors item that Subaru enthusiasts will most highly value and pay for. So do you want a collector's item that you are going to meticulously operate, store and maintain or do you need practical transportation?

Maybe the price should be $15 or $20k, only the Subaru enthusiasts will know what the market will bear. That is the beauty of Craigs list-- 5 bucks a month. That is 60 bucks for one year of advertising. Why not put it on Craig's list at a top price and let it run and see what the market will bear?

Still, I think between the rust and one significant repair item that could run in the thousands of dollars is very likely going to render this vehicle a parts car. Who wants to be holding this thing when the merry-go-round stops? All the posters here aren't going to be holding the bag on a swell car that may well not be economically feasible to fix.

It doesn't matter who is going to buy it and what they are going to do with it-- the seller is entitled to know and receive full market value, whatever it is, and holding onto it for the sentimental value of the posters here is not going to necessarily align with the owner's interests.

If the owner does not possess the appreciation for it coupled with a realistic prospect of being able to repair it him or herself, it still seems to me to throw it up on Craig's list for a year or so and see what the market will bear. Only then will a meaningful and informed decision be able to be made. At some price, everyone should sell shouldn't they? What is the market value that an informed Subaru enthusiast will actually pay? Craigs list will tell you that answer, in my view, and that is what is missing for me from this picture. What do you have to lose, 5 bucks a month?

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
242 Posts
Dude, this is a freakin' "no brainer"; you keep that sweetie. Looking at the photos there is no way you're ever going to get another just like it. Never. Go to marriage counseling if you have to but do not sell that car. Ten minutes after you do? You will regret it ...seriously.

Body work, rust, get it evaluated and see what's up with it. Surface and cosmetic rust can be dealt with easily. Yeah, body work cna be expensive because it's all labor But you want to nip the rust in the bud before it becomes anything structural. That gets really expensive and difficult, if not impossible, to repair with a uni-body vehicle. I would have your car evaluated by some of the local body shops to see what they say. That would be the only reason I would sell the car; it the structural integrity of the car has been compromised and repairs are too expensive or impossible.

I've got a buddy who's got a black, plain-wrapper NA version ....with the 5-speed. Hell, finding a Foz with just a 5-speed is like hen's teeth ...and my buddy knows it. Which is why he has no intention of ever selling it. Only mod done to it was a mild suspension lift and slightly larger tires ...which just makes the old girl look real nice.

You can fit just as much stuff into a Foz as you can an Outback. And, the best deals, would be to score a nicely used 2-3 year old Outback and save yourself some serious coin. Hopefully your wife is reasonable in that department. Good luck with your dilemma ....but whatever you do, barring terminal body rot, do not sell that XT.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
206 Posts
Other things to consider: a newer car will cost you more in insurance, in addition to the car payment/depreciation, and new cars still cost money. Just the other day a guy was posting on here about spending $1200 on the 60k maintenance, and that’s not even considering other possible repairs like a windshield that can run upwards of $1500 to replace if you have eyesight. Of course, things can break on any car but it’s worth remembering a newer car can drain your wallet just as much (if not more) than an older, cared for one. And that’s not even considering what a good car you seem to have. If you’re bored with it, throw a little money into cleaning it up, cosmetic/stereo/etc to keep it interesting, dropping a little here and there (after maintenance) is cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

So with cost not being as clear cut as some might have it be, it really comes down to what you’re looking for in your car, drive a newer one and see if that fits what you are looking for more, and if not, at least you know and don’t have to wonder.

Reactions: fujisan

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Premium XV CVT
58 Posts
Dude, this is a freakin' "no brainer"; you keep that sweetie. Looking at the photos there is no way you're ever going to get another just like it. Never. Go to marriage counseling if you have to but do not sell that car. Ten minutes after you do? You will regret it ...seriously.

Body work, rust, get it evaluated and see what's up with it. Surface and cosmetic rust can be dealt with easily. Yeah, body work cna be expensive because it's all labor But you want to nip the rust in the bud before it becomes anything structural. That gets really expensive and difficult, if not impossible, to repair with a uni-body vehicle. I would have your car evaluated by some of the local body shops to see what they say. That would be the only reason I would sell the car; it the structural integrity of the car has been compromised and repairs are too expensive or impossible.

I've got a buddy who's got a black, plain-wrapper NA version ....with the 5-speed. Hell, finding a Foz with just a 5-speed is like hen's teeth ...and my buddy knows it. Which is why he has no intention of ever selling it. Only mod done to it was a mild suspension lift and slightly larger tires ...which just makes the old girl look real nice.

You can fit just as much stuff into a Foz as you can an Outback. And, the best deals, would be to score a nicely used 2-3 year old Outback and save yourself some serious coin. Hopefully your wife is reasonable in that department. Good luck with your dilemma ....but whatever you do, barring terminal body rot, do not sell that XT.
C'mon Hon, almost every guy on the chatline says keep the car, what do you say?

Can you find a marriage counselor that owns a Subaru?

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
When in doubt, ask the internets! This forum always delivers! Thanks again for all the opinions!
🍿🍿🍿

@Crosstreck1994# I don't know if you understand what sort of vehicle the OP has. This isn't just any old SG Forester. The '07-'08 XT Sports 5-speed is the Holy Grail of Foresters. Approximately 500 were imported to North America in '07 and 300 in '08. It's not the sort of car you throw up on Craigslist and sell to some 17-year old with $12K of mommy and daddy's money who will inevitably wrap it around a utility pole doing 130 in a residential neigborhood.

There's a LOT more than sentimental value at stake.
Can you find a marriage counselor that owns a Subaru?

GOLD COMMENTS! Trade the wife, keep the car! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Precisely how I feel. Trying to convince her that this is no old beater is like a guy trying to convince his non-cyclist wife that he needs another bike, when the formula for sufficient number of bikes to own is always n+1.

...but as much as the heart speaks, the rational mind keeps things in check:

As I said ( I live in the same area) the only area of concern is the potential for serious rust in an area where salt is used on winter roads. That should be treated as soon as possible, but otherwise its quite possible that car will not require a cent in maintenance beyond reg stuff over the next year or two. I still vote keep it.
Still, I think between the rust and one significant repair item that could run in the thousands of dollars is very likely going to render this vehicle a parts car. Who wants to be holding this thing when the merry-go-round stops? All the posters here aren't going to be holding the bag on a swell car that may well not be economically feasible to fix.
Right on. That's a variable in the equation that I underestimated vs. engine or system issues. I will get the Foz to a body shop to get a clear idea of the cost of fixing rust issues; this will help inform the decision. Thanks all for highlighting this out.

This car was used for what it was designed for, and that includes driving through the best that the Canadian winter has to offer. If you've never driven a Subaru in 3 ft of snow, you are missing out on one of the greatest pleasures in life 😁

Of course, things can break on any car but it’s worth remembering a newer car can drain your wallet just as much (if not more) than an older, cared for one.
So with cost not being as clear cut as some might have it be, it really comes down to what you’re looking for in your car, drive a newer one and see if that fits what you are looking for more, and if not, at least you know and don’t have to wonder.
Totally. I'm weary of all the gadgets and electronics new cars now have and waiting to malfunction. 4Runners are one of the few vehicles that haven't "evolved" in the last 10 years, but man are they expensive, even 5 years old used ones...Also, things change in life and while I dreamt of driving on a track 15 years ago, I'm now more interested in getting away from pavement as much as possible. So there's that as well.

Feels like I'm sitting at a psychiatrist's office trying to decide what to do with my used car 😆

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
582 Posts
GOLD COMMENTS! Trade the wife, keep the car! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Don't be too hard on her. She does have excellent taste in a replacement/supplement for the FSXT!

My SO hates Outbacks. She even had our dealership make a note in their records that we are not to get an Outback service loaner unless it was all they had. But she LOVES the Wilderness.

We're actually starting to face the same dilemma you are. As mentioned earlier, our '05 is starting to rack up the trips to the shop. At 170K it runs like new. No sheetmetal rust and minimal surface corrosion in some of the usual SG places. Last October we drove it to New Orleans and back for a weekend - a 1400 mile round trip. No issues whatsoever.

Then came the gas pedal and the shifter. In the middle of that was the timing belt and a bunch of other routine MX. It's adding up fast. Parts availability is starting to be a concern as well. After a fun test drive in a 2.5 Crosstrek and a couple of Slothtrek loaners, we've actually started thinking the unthinkable....trading in the '05. It won't be until the '17 is paid off, but one more $500+ trip to the shop just might do it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.