Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited STI 6 Speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researching others forums about the 6 speed swap. I can't seem to find an exact answer to the complete process. I have a 06 sti donor car in my driveway so I have all the parts needed for the conversion. It will be going into my 2008 Forester XT Limited.
I'm already brushed up on the rear diff, axles, and hubs. I would like to know more about the neutral pos switch and reverse switch. Also, the DCCD; if i can keep it the way it is with no aftermarket controller. Also, other things like the Trans mount and Steering Rack. Do I keep the spacer;Fabricate one?
I've also read many people have problems with drive shaft alignment. Some say u need to keep the spacers. Or add some somewhere else like the driveshaft carrier. Won't that make the whole engine lift? How will the radiator adjust to that raise. Is there any way I can leave the crossmember spacers on the spot that is pointed out in the drawn-on picture Also, can I use the aluminum STI control arms. How about caster bushings? Should I get an Anti Lift Kit? I have read Alizar's post and he mentions using the kit after removing the spacers. Enlighten me?

Current mods:
-EJ257 Balanced and Blueprinted Short Block -- Manley H Beam Rods / JE FSR pistons 8.5:1 / JE .39 HeadGasket / ACL H Series Berings / Heat Treated Crankshaft
-D25 Stage 3 ported / polished Cylinder Heads / Supertech Exaust and Intake Valves / BC racing Single Spring Kit
- 6 Speed Full Swap with r180 Diff, STI swap, Brembo Brakes, KArtboy Short Shifter with Bushings
-VF48 Turbocharger ------- Will be Removed in 2018 for Fp Green HTZ
-Grimm speed 3-port boost solenoid
-PTP Lava Turbo Blanket
-Cobb Catted down-pipe
-Grimm Speed Up-Pipe ------- Will be Removed in 2018
-Invidia G200 Exaust
-Tomei UELHeaders + grimmspeed EWG uppipe
-IAG TGV Deletes
-IAG Air/Oil seperator E85
-KSTECH 73MM intake
-ETS Top Mount with Grimm Speed Y Pipe
-Ported STI Intake Manifold
-3mm phenolic spacers
-Perrin Turbo Inlet ------- Will be Removed in 2018
-FIC 1100cc injectors
-Cobb Lightweight Pulley
-Koyo Full Aluminum Radiator
-KartBoy Shifter
-Cobb front and rear bushings
-BC Racing Coilovers
-GrimmSpeed TMIC splitter

-E85 % Sensor + Gauge
-AEM boost Gauge
-AEM EGT Gauge

-FP Green HTZ turbo
-84MM FP FAP Intake
-Iwire.com Fuel Pump Controller Hardwire Kit
-PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
-Tomei Expreme Unequal Length Exhaust Manifold
-GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Black 38/40mm V-Band External Wastegate Uppipe 3-Bolt
-Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator
-Turbosmart Comp-Gate40 Wastegate Blue
-IAG Fuel Rails + Lines
-Aeromotive FPR V2
-GrimmSpeed EWG uppipe
-Comp-40 EWG / Blue
-NGK: One step colder plugs
-Exedy Hyper Twin Disc Organic Clutch Kit
-Killer B Motorsport Aluminum Oil Pan + Killer B Motorsport Ultimate Oil Pickup + Killer B Motorsport Oil Baffle Windage Tray
-Beatrush Engine Mounts + Transmission Mount + Beatrush Forged Pitching Stopper Mount
-Air Pump Delete Plates, Nameless
-Evolution Slotted+Drilled Rotors + HAWK Pads
-Deatschwerks DW400 Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit +Deatschwerks In Tank Fuel Filter 40 Micron

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Remove the spacers. You'll want to get an STI steering u-joint but everything else should be fine once that's installed. If you leave the spacers in, you may have an issue with the prop shaft rubbing on the rear diff carrier.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT X3 Manual
279 Posts
There are some pretty complete swaps out there, just have to find them. I can make a quick summary, but feel free to message me.

My swap came from an 04 STI, so i didnt need a few things, such as the front subframe, but I have a pretty comprehensive list on my build thread. I can help you out with the driveshaft geometry issues too if you have questions. you will want to REMOVE the forester subframe spacers, and use the sti transmission crossmember to get the driveshaft to be correct, and the sti steering ujoint to make up for the ~inch difference in height. I have STI aluminum control arms as well.

Swapping in the steering rack too? Use the sti front subframe since it is not an 04 rack.

The radiator hoses wont be off my much, i just had to trim them slightly to make them fit better without any kinks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spacers

Thanks for the replies, I also wanted to know about the U-Frame. When i take out the spacer shown in the attached photo on the crossmember, it will raise up an inch. Should i put some kind of washer in-between where the spacer was? Also, it will make a space between the U-Frame and the bottom of the crossmember. Will the STI U-Frame delete that gap? Another thing is the Caster Bushings. I would like to transfer over the STI aluminum control arm; should i keep the stock bushings or use the STI bushings? I've also attached a picture of the stock, aftermarket, and whiteline ALK bushings.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I also wanted to know about the U-Frame. When i take out the spacer shown in the attached photo on the crossmember, it will raise up an inch. Should i put some kind of washer in-between where the spacer was? Also, it will make a space between the U-Frame and the bottom of the crossmember. Will the STI U-Frame delete that gap? Another thing is the Caster Bushings. I would like to transfer over the STI aluminum control arm; should i keep the stock bushings or use the STI bushings? I've also attached a picture of the stock, aftermarket, and whiteline ALK bushings.
I still have the gap in my U-frame on one of the bolts on each side. everything else lined up quite well. My control arms have the STI bushings in them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You BSt3v for quick reply and all others for your help, I guess i have everything in order now, i can just Fabricate small Spacer by cutting some pipe and using a longer bolt to fill that gap.

I will post pics on here and progress of the swap as i go.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Exactly! I need to do that as well, just need to.find a long enough bolt. I'm happy to help if you have any other questions! Been through it myself without much knowledge, took me a long time! Hope it all goes smooth! It's worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly! I need to do that as well, just need to.find a long enough bolt. I'm happy to help if you have any other questions! Been through it myself without much knowledge, took me a long time! Hope it all goes smooth! It's worth it.
Picked up few things at Napa today to Make lower subframe spacers. Metric Die 12mmx1.25 to add more thread to 5" Bolts. Had few Lower Control Arm Bushing laying around from 2007 MB CLS550, I just burned the rubber off to get the Aluminum Inner Spacer, will need to cut the Spacer to proper diameter once i remove Front Subframe Risers and lift it up.

Part Numbers#
55912 Metric DIE 12MM-1.25
2802-784 - 5" BOLT
211 333 19 14 - Lower Bushing Bushings

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I also wanted to know about ABS sensors; it seems that on the STI, the rear plugs for the ABS sensors are Female, and on the forester they are Male. Can I splice the wires and join them together or do I have to change out the ABS sensors?

Do i need to swap ABS module as well. I would like to Keep STI Sensors and just rewire them, they look like the same sensor just different plug. Mine are a little Rusty

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I kept the forester sensors, they had no issues bolting directly into the rear hubs. I have not heard of people splicing in the STI ones, I would be worried that there are differences for a reason. might have to do a little research on that one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called local Subaru shop they said it's the same just diff Connectors, wish me luck. Plus on top of it all Front BC Racing Coilover Lower mounts wont fit STI Knuckle, rears bolted on just fine. Have to order Lower Mounts now for 05-07 STI from BC racing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
99% Done, Installed 2006 STI BBS 17" 225/45/zr17, they are way to small for this vehicle, Ordered 235/50/zr17, will post pics next week. I soldered Plugs for ABS sensors, so far good, I had my tuner update Pro Tune map an added 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. By now I would assume yout fXT is fully functional. Just a question :
Were you able to preserve the vDc/traction control functions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts