Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only looking to give the exhaust a little more growl, not looking to wake the whole neighborhood. But in searching, I have found little to no results for an X. There are a ton of results for XTs, which is understandable because they clearly have a better market of exhaust components with the turbo. Question is, axle-back and or cat-back systems should be the same for both X and XT models correct? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,197 Posts
Reactions: burgh_fozz

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,007 Posts
A vehicle I bought last year (and recently sold) had a variable flow muffler. It was a double-tip muffler with a valve inside that you could switch over with a little remote. It certainly had more of a rumble in "straight pipe" mode! (while not being obnoxiously loud)

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,037 Posts
Only looking to give the exhaust a little more growl, not looking to wake the whole neighborhood. But in searching, I have found little to no results for an X. There are a ton of results for XTs... Question is, axle-back and or cat-back systems should be the same for both X and XT models correct?...
After I got my NA in late 2007 I looked for a year for some more growl. Like you I found plenty for the XT but nothing for the NA. The pipe is smaller on the NA, and the flange is rotated somewhat compared to an XT, so the only solution is to buy a Magnaflow muffler and have a shop weld up a custom job. In addition, I have a trailer hitch that has less than 1/2 inch clearance to end the stock muffler, and not sure how the length of the Magnaflow compared.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,132 Posts
Non Turbos have an Equal Length exhaust manifold, so you wont gain "Scooby burble". It will just sound like a Honda........

If you want Scooby Burble, you need an Un-Equal length exhaust manifold, like is what is fitted on the Turbo variants, or known in some parts of the world as Un-Equal Length Headers

Also read up as to what Back Pressure is and if you think making a wider diameter exhaust would be a good thing or not for your non-turbo.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The Prodrive oval tip exhaust I had on my '03 WRX sounded terrific. It had that signature Subaru sound and this particular exhaust (IMO) really enhanced that note without being obnoxious about it.

I wouldn't have even tried to do the same on my wife's Foresters for some of the same reasons TMX mentioned. Just not worth it and even if it is just for the "sound", there is simply nothing there worth amplifying.

The way I look at it, some cars simply sound better with aftermarket exhausts and some don't. The newer 5.0 Mustangs for example sound great with a variety of them. So do cars like my Challenger R/T but IMO, only with particular types of exhausts (usually the more mellow / lower toned among them).

I know this is all subjective though as I've heard some absolutely horrible systems out there on cars where I know the owners think they are the cat's meow. .....go figure.

Reactions: TMX
1 - 7 of 7 Posts