Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2008 Subaru Forester 2,5X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During some sustained long trip, whilst using "Cruise control", the Engine Management warning light came on and the Cruise control failed...but the Cruise light remains on. I am advised that this is due to fuel contamination and not to worry...carry on to run the tank of petrol...and after refueling, the system will restore itself.

I had this occur before and this was the case...has anyone had a similar problem?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry...please explain what "DBW" is and what "CEL" refers to. There are no codes indicated! My vehicle's cruise control simply went off and started flashing simultaneously with the engine warning light coming on. I carried on driving until the tankful of fuel had almost finished...filled up with fuel again...and suddenly all systems reverted back to normal. So, I assume it must have been a problem resulting from contamination in the fuel. I live in a 3rd world country, not without contamination in fuel!! But thanks anyway

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No...no idea of the code...I was in the middle of nowhere when I encountered this...I was probably 800km from the nearest Subaru dealership or workshop!
But all seems well now. I was just interested as to whether other Forester owners had experienced this...seemingly as a result of fuel contamination

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts
No...no idea of the code...I was in the middle of nowhere when I encountered this...I was probably 800km from the nearest Subaru dealership or workshop!
But all seems well now. I was just interested as to whether other Forester owners had experienced this...seemingly as a result of fuel contamination
If you have a high end OBD2 scan tool, or know someone that has one, it can pull up your engine CEL history.

As to issues with "gas contamination", no issues in any of our vehicles. We always buy our gas from a high end gas stations.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,515 Posts
I had this occur before and this was the case...has anyone had a similar problem?
Who advised you you had bad fuel and how did they come to that conclusion? Was your fuel tested?
Did someone use a code reader, or did they just guess?
I would question running through fuel bad enough to trigger a CEL. It doesn't sound like great advice.

The cruise control will be disabled anytime a Check Engine Light comes on, regardless of what the problem is.
It can be as simple as not putting on your gas cap tight, triggering the CEL.

Buy yourself an OBD scan tool and you can not only see what the problem is, but clear the problem code to see if what you did to rectify the problem actually worked.

At least in the USA, they aren't expensive and well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts