So a family member was driving my 2008 Subaru Forester standard trim level. It overheated enough to fry the engine. The temp gauge worked, as when I came to rescue him it pegged hot. I had it towed. However he is saying he had no indication that it was hot or overheating till it shut off. Other then a temp gauge wouldn't the engine light come on or a temp light go on before it got so hot it stopped? I'm thinking that the car would have done other things to clue him into the fact that it's overheating. He is a young driver but I'm thinking the car would have performed differently before the shut down. It would have smelled hot. That the loss of anti freeze would have caught his attention. I'm having it hard to believe that the car performed as normal and the ONLY indicator the car was over heating was the JUST the temp gauge and then it stopped running. With the car in the shop it is hard look again at the dash and see what indicator lights it has.