Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the maint fluid change scheduling? Nothing I could find in owners manual. Thank you.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
I've been doing this drain & refill routine for years. This only changes part of the fluid but is user friendly. During a normal oil change switch to the tranny and pull the plug. I measure what was drained and add that amount back. I'm assuming you do your own oil changes.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,600 Posts
@Gregg1947 looking here on cars101.com - 2008, shows inspection only, replace every 24K miles under severe driving conditions.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,944 Posts
Anyone know the maint fluid change scheduling? Nothing I could find in owners manual. Thank you.
Subaru doesn't put the maintenance schedule in owners manual. Instead you will find it in the much smaller Warranty & Maintenance booklet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, got answers in a couple hours. Thank you Forester Bill; 2.5X_Sleeper; and SuperRu. Yep I do my own routine maint. I did not think of the maint sched. owners manual in car, maint sched in file cabinet.

·
Administrator
37,600 Posts
@Gregg1947 how many miles on your '08?

When I bought my '07 FSXT in '09, it had around 21K miles. I had my trusted Subaru dealership shop flush & fill the 4EAT with Red Line synthetic ATF. This was an upgrade option that was offered to me. Not a recommendation, just what I decided to go with.

Bobby...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bobby and thanks for your input. I bought this ‘08 in 9/19 with 124K mi from a dealer. It just had the timing replacements and belt etc work done. The trans shifts fine but I am a preventative maint guy. I have a little over 128K on it now.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
@Gregg1947 - If your fluid is clean and pristine, changing it is a waste of money.
On my model year, the inspection interval is 30K miles.
If it's dirty or has the burnt odor, do a drain and fill - You won't get all of the fluid out because some will be retained in the torque converter.
That's why you do the drain and fill, drive, drain and fill, drive... After 3 changes, your fluid will be pristine.
Each time you will drain just short of 4 quarts. Put the same amount back in and check the level.
I just did mine with the oil changes.
While some people have done the dealer flush method, it is more expensive and has risks.
While no problems are created by the drain and fill, there are posts on this forum where transmissions became inoperable after a forced flush.
Flushing can dislodge innocuous debris that can plug up passages in the tranny. It happens.
In either cases, you end up with a transmission containing nice, fresh fluid.

·
Administrator
37,600 Posts
@Gregg1947 at 128K miles, most members would not recommend a transmission flush, unless you've been doing this maintenance regularly. The best way to go is the "drain & refill" regiment as mentioned in the previous thread replies.

As to what ATF to use, that's up to you. For the '08, Subaru recommends:
Recommended fluid:
• SUBARU ATF HP
Substitute fluid:
• IDEMITSU: ATF HP
• Castrol: Transmax J
• Pennzoil Quaker State: Pennzoil ATF-J
Bobby...

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
164 Posts
Unless you're doing something "heavy duty" with your Foz ...like towing regularly ...the tranny fluid should be good to the 75K-100K range. I just replaced my ATF at about the 75K point. Had the dealer do it. Big deal made about using only Subaru ATF as per the owners manual ...dealer exchanged factory fill with BG Synthetic ATF. So much for the "big deal". Tranny works just fine with the BG fluid.

The 4EAT tranny has been around for along time. It's a Mazda/Ford tranny made by JATCO ...a fairly reliable and robust tranny ...if not the most sophisticated thing ever designed ...but it's not finicky as to the tranny fluid it uses.

·
Administrator
37,600 Posts
@jocko we're running Red Line synthetic ATF & Red Line synthetic gear oil on both our Foresters. This was an optional upgrade suggested by the service writer at our trusted Subaru dealership shop.

Bobby...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you're doing something "heavy duty" with your Foz ...like towing regularly ...the tranny fluid should be good to the 75K-100K range. I just replaced my ATF at about the 75K point. Had the dealer do it. Big deal made about using only Subaru ATF as per the owners manual ...dealer exchanged factory fill with BG Synthetic ATF. So much for the "big deal". Tranny works just fine with the BG fluid.

The 4EAT tranny has been around for along time. It's a Mazda/Ford tranny made by JATCO ...a fairly reliable and robust tranny ...if not the most sophisticated thing ever designed ...but it's not finicky as to the tranny fluid it uses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Jocko. Amazon has good prices on all brands that work. Idemitsu ATF HP sure appears they make Subaru oil for Subaru. Online has good prices. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
164 Posts
Hi Jocko. Amazon has good prices on all brands that work. Idemitsu ATF HP sure appears they make Subaru oil for Subaru. Online has good prices. Thanks for the input.
Thanks Gregg, I'll have to remember that.

When it comes to engine oil, I've been using Mobil1 0w20. Now that WalMart is carrying their "SuperTech" full synthetic in 0W20 I will be swapping over ...it's a good deal less pricey than the Mobil1. As for ATF? I have done some DIY full tranny fluid exchanges and while it is kinda fun ...it's really a PITA. And for the cost and convenience I'll just take it to the dealership.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts