Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Ltd Auto
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on offer, for $30 (plus shipping to your location) o.b.o., a rear-view mirror for an '09 Forester. Here's the story:

After about 6 years, the green digital compass in the top right corner of my rear view mirror began to dim. A gentle finger-tap on the back of the housing would bring it back for a day or two, but eventually it went completely dark. Off to the local salvage yard, where I picked one up for $30. Within a year, same problem with the salvaged mirror.

After some searching here I learned it's a common problem on these mirrors, as being in a high-heat spot (direct sunlight) and suffering from generally poor solder joints causes one (and sometimes two) tiny resistors to loosen up and pull away from the PCB. Following the DIY repair process described at this link, I repaired both my original mirror and the salvage mirror. Both are now in great working order, and the original is back on my vehicle. So I've got an extra mirror that I don't need, and if someone here is having the same problem, I've got your answer.

***Description of problem, and DIY repair process: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309488 ***

I realize you could just follow the link and do the repair on your own mirror yourself, but maybe someone out there doesn't care to spend the time.

My goal is to recoup what I spent at the salvage yard before repairing it, but as you'll note, best/reasonable offers will be considered.

I'd like to have it sold and shipped by the end of January, 2019, but we'll see how it goes. If shipping will be outside the U.S., I'll get back to you with the true shipping cost to your location and ask you to cover it before the item ships. (For U.S. deliveries, I'll send via Priority Mail and advise/ask you to reimburse the shipping cost before sending.) The sale will be final.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Forester
7 Posts
To be clear, the mirror itself is also self dimming? If so, would you do $40 total shipped to 11935? Please email me directly, bpj71 at Yahoo.

I can send via Paypal

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Ltd Auto
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the mirror is self-dimming and this functionality works perfectly. The dimming compass is driven by a separate and unrelated circuit on the PCB.

This reply got lost (notification was never sent, despite my following the thread). Emailed you earlier. If you are still following this thread and still interested in the mirror, please respond in either manner. Your offer sounds fine.

To be clear, the mirror itself is also self dimming? If so, would you do $40 total shipped to 11935? Please email me directly, bpj71 at Yahoo.

I can send via Paypal

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.