Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting this in as a data point. TC initially showed problems with lock up release - on deceleration there was a feeling like drive train snatch. A year or so later the TC started 'groaning' on start up and then the floorboard near tranny tunnel started vibrating. Final clue was what sounded like gurgling and grinding and loose marbles in the tranny tunnel area. I took it into the mechanic pronto and told him to change the TC out. He was arguing it was ok as the noise was not so bad I reminded him that if it does go it will shed metal all through the AT. There were no recon TC's here so I had to shell out to the local thievership for a new one. Once it was in the sounds all disappeared, the drive train snatch was gone AND the 'bumpy' ride at 40-70 kmh (which honeslty I blamed on the king spring stiffness) was all gone. Apparently this last sympton is common with TC's that are failing and I never new. Car feels tighter now. Accelerates better and definitely decelerates better.

Why did it fail prematurely? Well 12 years is a long time and Singapore is a HOT country. I think also at one point the AT overheated when the radiator blew as well. 210,000 is premature in my books. I was thinking it should do 240,000 km at least (150,000 miles). Any ideas if this is premature failure?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts