Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2007 Forester Xt-Sport w/Manual Trans

I have a Clicking Sound that is VERY noticable in the 2500 to 3500 RPM range.

It sounds like the fan hitting the fan shroud (some have described a similar sound in this forum like a pen rapidly clicking in/out)

If i put my foot on the clutch, the sound stops immediately.

My first thought is bad throwout bearing.

Is anyone having this experience? Any Info?

Thanks for reading.

Charlie

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
A waering Throwout bearing would typ make noise only whilst engaged, though I have read issues (TSB?) where the fork may preclude the bearing from being fully disengaged and it may disintegrate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my 07 forester xt sport with manual trans (and 36k miles on it) to the dealer for this issue TODAY, they told me that it's the fork that pushes the throwout bearing away from the clutch. Apparently at around 2500 to 3500 rpms, the fork vibrates. depressing the clutch puts pressure on the fork (as it's moving the throwout bearing/clutch) and the noise stops.

He said it's just normal wear and nothing to worry about (though i find this hard to believe - I'd think that anything vibrating like that is going to cause premature wear)

anyway - there ya have it... the dealer's word on it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I just read a thread here saying the fork asy has to be replaced. This is a known issue - the throwout will disintegrate. Dealer is trying to move you out of the warranty period ( if you're still in it). Make them repair it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read a thread here saying the fork asy has to be replaced. This is a known issue - the throwout will disintegrate. Dealer is trying to move you out of the warranty period ( if you're still in it). Make them repair it.
I'm already beyond the warantee.... i have 36k miles on it. :(

I'd think that if it were a serious issue that he'd recommend replacing, esp since it would be a full-cost replacement?!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts