Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2007 subaru forester sohc 2.5L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So do you think the compression is too low to start? Should I should replace the engine? I have seen the old 1.8L engine run fine on 90psi compression

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
391 Posts
Have you confirmed that you do have spark, now?

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
391 Posts
Pull a plug right after you crank. Is it wet with fuel? I'm late to this conversation but you should go with the simple stuff. If you can prove spark, prove fuel delivery, verify timing mechanically (TDC), you should have a start. After that, it's pull the valve covers. IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Like I said it is firing like it wants to start but doesn't quite start so I am getting fuel spark some compression I have removed the radiator and timing covers and double checked the valve timing

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is some question in my mind if there is sufficient fuel to start. Your description of that suggests weakness to me. The fuel pump should surprise you with the volume of fuel it puts out. Check a plug. Is it wet? IOW, did the spark fail to ignite the fuel? Is it only barely damp? IOW was there not enough fuel to sustain a full explosion?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
like i said in post i disconnected the fuel line and filled a 1 liter container in about 5 seconds so i am getting good fuel flow to the engine but if I am getting enough through the injectors is another question I have taken the plugs out after trying to start they smell like fuel but are not wet so I am not sure if enough fuel is being injected to the cylinders and I am not sure how to test for this. this engine has about 250000kms on it the car has about 450000kms on it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you don't have any spark and you have good fuel delivery, the spark plugs will be wet. You can smell the fuel on them.
Testing for this you are suggesting that you have an irregular type of cranking. In other words, you crank the engine and it kind of feels like it might want to start but it doesn't. If you have confirmed spark and the plugs are not soaking, stinking wet, you have a fuel delivery problem. Pump, filter, damper, lines, injectors, ecu control. Do you have the service manual?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
No i don't have a service manual I think i do have a fuel delivery problem but it is not the fuel pump and the filter for this car is in the tank. It could be the injectors or the ecm but i have already replaced the ecm once already and that is how i got spark to work the car i got the ecm from was in a front end accident so i don't think it was in the wrecking yard due to a engine or running problem. the ecm i am using is the same part# as the original so that is not the problem either.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Okay, give me a few minutes to gather some info for you. There is a whole trouble shooting section in the manual for failure to start. Let me get you a copy of that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I have done all the basic trouble shooting things for a engine the has a failure to start problem. but i guess i never know there might be something i missed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is what I have for a 2010 NA Forester. Consider each point carefully. You don't have to tear it apart again. You may find an answer. At least, you can eliminate some enquiries. It's a pdf file, can't upload a zip file.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
@donkpow thank you for the pdf but do you know if the ecm connectors are the same on a 2010 and a 2007 ecm and connector location. I was looking at the pdf and looking at page 15 for testing the fuel injector and ecm.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't know, that's all I have. You could trace the wires back and check pin positions on your connectors to verify.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I have checked for voltage at the injectors and i got 13.5V with the key on and 11.5V cranking so I know the injectors are working at least a little lol @donkpow

·
Registered
391 Posts
So you have voltage to your injectors. Try to understand the totality of the troubleshooting procedures.

It's not clear to me in my docs what the pump is rated for. Time is not specified. I assume "per hour".

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,222 Posts
It is difficult to "measure" the fuel-pump pressure without proper tools. Keep in mind 43.5 psi is classified as a Low Pressure Fuel pump.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
@bman400 most of the older car use that type of fuel pump it is just the ones with direct injection that need the higher pressure fuel pump

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,222 Posts
@bman400 most of the older car use that type of fuel pump it is just the ones with direct injection that need the higher pressure fuel pump
I am well aware of GDI engines using HPFP. My gut feeling tells me this is not where the issue is for your situation, as these low pressure pumps don't fail often.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I agree it seems that the fuel pump is putting out lots of fuel as it nearly fill a one liter container in about 5 seconds @bman400

81 - 100 of 117 Posts