Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2007 subaru forester sohc 2.5L
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what is wrong but i have spark only on 1 cylinder and it won't start i am not sure if it is the cam or crank sensor or is it something wrong with the ignition coil?

The original thread title, before the threads were merged was "2007 - No spark on 3 cylinders and won't start?"
The merged thread starts on post #79.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I have replaced the camshaft, crankshaft and ignition coil but now i have spark on a different cylinder but not the other 3 anyone have any ideas what is wrong? I am stumped.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did those tests on both my coils and both seem to be bad picking up another coil and see if that works

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,570 Posts
I had a similar problem. Replaced coil pack with a new OEM Subaru part. Very important. Aftermarket coil packs just aren’t very good.
I also replaced ignition wires and spark plugs.

All good. I did test original parts. They were not up to spec. Did you install new cam and crank sensors? You can probably put the oem originals back, to rule out and defective parts.

If you have a good multi meter, you can save money and not just throw parts at a problem.
Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up another coil and this one tests good on the secondary side with 11.8k and 12.2k but i got nothing on the primary side does this mean this coil is not good because it does not spark on any cylinder now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
back to the autowrecker. they said that this coil came off a car with only 35xxx km

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,570 Posts
Subaru parts get updated. So maybe now it’s a USA made part. The original on our 2003 XS was Fuji Industries. Japan. All good. Oem coil pack will work great. I would also get the ignition wire set, 4 new NGK spark plugs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I tried a forth coil pack and still no spark. this one tested ok but still no spark. I am missing something else on this car that is causing it not to spark. I am getting power to the coil but it must not be getting a signal. If i had a diagram of the ignition system i might be able to figure out what else it could be right now i am stumped

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Subaru parts get updated. So maybe now it’s a USA made part. The original on our 2003 XS was Fuji Industries. Japan. All good. Oem coil pack will work great. I would also get the ignition wire set, 4 new NGK spark plugs.
this is a 2007 forester which uses a different coil pack than a 2003 and out of the 4 i tried all of them are diamond and made in the usa

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,222 Posts
@trdriver71 Where are you buying your coil packs from? I see in a post you are buying them from the wreckers? Save yourself some time and money, just buy a proper Subaru coil pack from the dealer. Subaru coil packs rarely fail, my 2001 is still running with the factory coil pack with 212, 600 miles. Also buy NGK Plug wires, anything other than NGK are known to cause problems and the same with spark plugs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
these are oem coil packs just from a wrecker and a new one from the dealer is 400 dollars I am already bought ngk iridium spark plugs. this is why i am thinking this is something else wrong but i can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,222 Posts
@trdriver71 You have gone through 4 coil packs and test all 4. 3 are bad, you bought all 4 from wreckers(Questionable quality). The ECU uses crankshaft and camshaft position sensor to trigger the coil pack. Subaru uses wasted spark system, meaning it sparks 2 cylinders at the same time. See here: Ignition Coil Testing “Waste spark ignition system”: | Subaru Idiots

1. Check the crankshaft.
2. Check the camshaft sensor.
3. Buy a Proper Subaru Coil Pack instead of messing around with coil packs from wreckers, as they do not test or warrant their coil pack actually works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
these are proper subaru coil packs just used one of them came off a car the only had 35000 kms on it so around 15000 miles i have already tried replacing the camshaft and crankshaft sensors one at a time and tested to see if i have spark I have tested the coils i got from the wrecker and the original one from the car. I bought this car as a non running car and the po said he was driving down the highway on his way to work when it just died. three of these coils will spark from one of the four spark plugs and i am not sure why I am familiar with the wasted spark system but i am not what would cause it to only spark on one cylinder. depending on what coil i put in it will spark in either of the back cylinder depending on what coil i try i am wondering if it is the ecm only thing left i haven't replaced in the ignition system.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts