Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We need a spot for the information for this. Several people have done this and deserve to some spotlight.

The next few posts in this thread will contain who has performed the swap, what transmission they have(5 or 6 speed) and what is required for a 5 or 6 speed swap.

As bbottomley and I were discussing we also need to include the electricial aspects of this into the information.

If you have something to add please do and I will edit this into the correct post. Also, the list of who has the swaps will be in no order or when they were completed.

Here are the people who have went from auto to 5 speed.
1) hayd
2)

Here are the people who went from auto to 6 speeds
1)Team Scream
2)singincanary

Here are the people who went from a 5 speed to 6 speed.
1)VinnyD
2)rob
Good links to visit are

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/6-speed-swap-cross-member-notes-pics-73266/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/manual-transmission-faq-14804/

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Fill this out nicely with good links and I'll link it from the moderated DIY forum.

Please folks, keep this thread tight to the subject. We want it to be a reference work for future generations!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
since the forester is an impreza-based chassis there are MANY different ways to perform this swap, regardless if you are starting with an auto or 5 speed. in my opinion there are more factors involved in this swap than just "having 6 gears." do you want upgraded cross members, rear diff, brakes, 5x114 hubs? figuring that stuff out before hand will have a determining factor on what parts need to be sourced for the swap and a rough end cost.

it would also be helpful to distinguish the information between the SF and SG forester chassis. i have no experience with an SF and all my info is solely based on the SG. i'm sure a lot of it is pretty similar but for the new guy seeking information it should be more clear. like as in the http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/6-speed-swap-cross-member-notes-pics-73266/ thread, all the information i posted there was specific to my personal swap only. is it helpful? yes! is it the only way to do this swap? no.

so what kind of info would you like us to include in our posts here? list our combination of swap parts for others to see? or just a list of user names that someone can PM for info? i'm all for this thread, just wanting a little clarification i guess.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
SF 5mt to STi 6mt
6 speed trans(duh)
04 STi 6mt axle stubs and axle seals(allows 05+ 6mts to use SF/early SG male style axles)
6mt shift linkage
6mt clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
Pull style clutch slave cylinder
Automatic Forester driveshaft
3.9 final drive rear diff

I reused my SF trans crossmember which already had the front spacers removed.
In terms of trans mount, I swapped the Group N unit I had on my 5mt over to the 6mt with no issue.
The only other piece I think to mention is that I also retained my SF speed sensor and all four stock axles.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
What did you do for your wiring of the reverse lights?
I didn't have to do anything wiring related. I did the trans install at the same time as the STi swap so it's possible that the preson who did my harness merge did something that he knew was necessary. I will check with him and let you know.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Suggestion: Copy & Host all pictures on one single account. I've found a lot of older threads have great info then the pics are all X's since they were deleted randomly.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Thats my plan, to host all photos on here and link them to pevent the red x problem.

I havent seen this swap but I would assume that the auto-manual swap would require different wiring. I did an auto-manual swap back when I was 16 and the reverse lights never worked since the woring was different. This may not be a problem for 5 to 6 speed swaps.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Here is the response I got about the wiring from my harness guy:
"No difference in wiring with the 5spd other than swapping the transmission plug to the 6spd one. When I did this I also ran the DCCD wires into the car for you, but it isn't necessary. If someone had no interest in the DCCD they could unbolt the reverse lights and neutral position plug off the side of the transmission and put the plugs from the old transmission onto the new one."

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
When I swapped the FSTi 6-speed into my 5MT '04 FXT I used the same parts as Rob for the most part.

-6-speed trans
-matching rear diff
-rear hubs
-axles
-STi specific clutch and flywheel
-STi shift linkage (upgraded to kartboy shortshifter)
-STi transmission mount (upgraded to Cusco)
-STi driveshaft (upgraded to Driveshaft Shop aluminum driveshaft)
-I used the STi rear diff carrier as it is 1 piece instead of the stock Foz which is 2 pieces. Not necessary, but I did it, along with the outrigger bushings.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing the info guys. A few mods have pm'ed me on this and also have expressed interest in building a SF faq for this swap since its almost becomming common place. Feel free to add anything to this and since I have not completed this swap(yet) tell me what needs to be posted in the save files, as well as what photos.

Thanks and together, we can make it happen.

·
Registered
97 Forester S/tb
44 Posts
Hi guys, I've just finished a 4EAT to 5MT conversion on my SF5 and to be honest it really isn't that hard to do the swap as long as you have a little bit mechanical knowledge or know someone who does. A service manual and/or another manual Subaru of a similar year or model also helps a lot too. Me and my brother did it in my garage with a couple of floor jacks and axle stands. A service manual and/or another manual Subaru of a similar year or model also helps a lot too.
The hardest part I found was getting all the parts. I didnt have access to just one car so it took me a while (1 1/2 years to be exact! but I'm lazy and have no money so I have an excuse lol) to collect parts from various Legacys, Foresters and Imprezas and some new parts from auto stores and Subaru.
I still have a little bit of wiring to do the gearbox I got has a mechanical speedo from an earlier model Impreza with an electronic sender with 3 wires and the auto has 2 so the plugs don't match the auto loom. The reverse lights are different as well. On the 'box it has 4 wires whereas on the car it only has 2 and they're in the 12 pin plug on the firewall. The only other wiring that needs to be done is bridge the inhibitor switch (wires 11 and 12 on the 12 pin plug) and one of the plugs in the centre console that connects to the auto shifter needs to be bridged to make it think its in neutral (its NOT the black wires I think they're red and blue, can't remember) so you can start it and remove the key. Some people also wire up the clutch switch but I wouldn't bother with that its just more work.
And lastly when you start it, it'll be revving at around 2500rpm cold 2200 warm. This is to offset the weight of the torque converter on the engine and theres no point in adjusting the throttle the best you'll get is 1900 warm. To fix this you have to fool the Engine Control Unit into thinking it is a manual so if you remove the middle plug from the Trans Control Unit the ECU won't be getting any signal from it and it'll rev at 7-800rpm warm. The TCU controls the ABS so its best to leave the other 2 plugs in but I haven't tested the ABS yet so I can't confirm but the dash light isn't on so I can only assume it works.
The only problem i've come across so far is the starter motor packed up the next day so its not going at the moment. Sorry if none of it made any sense I'm not very good at explaning stuff or paragraphing if you hadn't noticed already lol. I've also got some links that helped me a lot I'll post them up as soon as I find them too.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good info.

I will update the sub sections with people who have completed various swaps so others can ask questions.

I also spoke with TiC about the issue of the DCCD and controlllers.

The responce was either run an aftermarket controller or none at all. They are also thinking that the VDC and stability control wont hinder much on my particular swap since they think they are seperate units.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
359 Posts
I'm also interested.

There is a person selling a complete 06 STi driveline (including Brembos) very close to where I live so I'm very tempted, but I'm worried about missing small parts here and there.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts