Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 LL Bean Edition Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ALL, I would like to modestly update the sound system & front/rear speakers in my wife’s car.
I removed the front speakers and see that they have a plastic molding around them which leads me to believe that this may not be simple plug and play. I don’t want to have to modify anything more than necessary. I’m unsure if new speakers may protrude into window space / interfere with window operation??
I would appreciate recommendations especially ones that explain how to properly run and hide the wires. I’ve seen some replacement decks include a back up camera. Are these any good or just a gimmic?
Thank you!

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
757 Posts
I would highly recommend Crutchfield.com They have step by step guides for you to DIY it. You can even call them or see their instructional vids out there.
Also their selections are great. Even the cheapest speaker they sell, is a good sounding speaker.

You'll most likely need adapters to fit aftermarket speakers. It's simple really. If crutchfield is not your thing, you can find plenty of free YouTube videos of your exact car installing speakers/stereos.

Those new head units that offer backup cameras do work. You'll need either a proper adapter or some slight wire splice/tapping and an actual camera, which is extra (some cases) Yes its more work but you can do it. It might need custom modification, but nothing too bad a DIYer cant do.

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
785 Posts
I haven’t installed my rear camera yet, but I chose one with a thinner 4-pin connector I could feed through the existing license plate light wiring hole without drilling a bigger one for RCA jacks.

I also tried a replacement license plate light cover that used the existing lights. It does obscure a little bit to the left of the license plate, but seems ok. There are versions which include LED lights, but I wanted both lights either side of the boot release to match, and those ones all seemed to have the RCA jacks anyway.

My current plan is to install an Android (not Android Auto) head unit which can take HD rear camera signals. The camera I bought supports both low and high res, just snip a pigtail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts