Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Forester 2.5L non-turbo. Over the last year or so it has developed a very small oil leak on top of the passenger side cylinder head. I have included a couple photos of where the oil is puddling. The leak is only about half a quart a month, so it is not terrible. The problem is that the oil splatters back with the wind, landing on my exhaust which leads to the smell of burning oil when the vehicle is stopped.

I know that the oil pressure sending unit is near the puddling but the area around that sensor seems to be devoid of oil. I know that the head gaskets on this model of engine has a tendency to go out as well but I am not getting any smoke out of the exhaust and I have has a few mechanics tell me that if the gasket had gone out, then the oil would be leaking from the bottom and not puddling on top of the cylinder head.

I put oil dye in a while back to try to find the spot of the leak but I haven't found it yet.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should check or what the likely problem is?

Thanks

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some more research and another look at the engine, the oil does not seem to be coming from the oil pressure sensor. The oil seems to be coming from under the power steering pump. It is definitely engine oil and not PS fluid.

Is there a reason that engine oil would be leaking from the PS pump?

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
\ It is definitely engine oil and not PS fluid. Also, neither the check engine light or the oil pressure light has come on. No codes are stored.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,043 Posts
I have a 07 Forester 2.5L non-turbo. Over the last year or so it has developed a very small oil leak on top of the passenger side cylinder head. I have included a couple photos of where the oil is puddling. The leak is only about half a quart a month, so it is not terrible. The problem is that the oil splatters back with the wind, landing on my exhaust which leads to the smell of burning oil when the vehicle is stopped.

I know that the oil pressure sending unit is near the puddling but the area around that sensor seems to be devoid of oil. I know that the head gaskets on this model of engine has a tendency to go out as well but I am not getting any smoke out of the exhaust and I have has a few mechanics tell me that if the gasket had gone out, then the oil would be leaking from the bottom and not puddling on top of the cylinder head.

I put oil dye in a while back to try to find the spot of the leak but I haven't found it yet.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should check or what the likely problem is?

Thanks

Ian
In your picture 3/4, it looks like the oil is leaking from that black hose at the bottom of the picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey! Did you ever figure this out?

I’m having a very similar problem. Fluid pooling on the passenger side of engine block. Though I am extremely amateur at mechanics it feels and looks like oil to me but the PS pump is gummed up and certainly appears to be leaking which makes it seem like PS fluid is what's pooling. Also as in your case I'm loosing oil which is confusing things. Maybe separate problem?

Head gaskets and oil switch are less than a year old. What gives?

Engine Top Down
IMG_5381.JPG

PS Pump
IMG_5379.JPG

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
220 Posts
I think it would help to clean and degrease everything and then look for the source.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Cleaned today. Already notice some fluid around the pump. See photo Could it be a washer/ O-ring? Do you think this is an easy repair to make?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts