Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 2007 forester 2.5XT Auto with sportshift
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven an SG 2.5XT for 8 years and put 320,000kms on it I thought 'time to change'. Looked around for reliable, comfortable, performance, 4x4 and so I am now owner of a 2007 SG 2.5XT with 80,000kms! Sold the old one to my best friend and he is happy as well.
Only difference is the new one is Auto with Sportshift. Interesting! It has brought up a few questions. Trying to get my head around the slipping drivetrain.
For example I live in the hills above the coast in Spain. About 5kms uphill on a twisty road. I lock trans in 2nd and drive up home and the engine revs between 2500 and 3500 as I accelerate on straights and slow for bends. If I lock in 3rd the engine revs between 1500 and 2500. On a manual I would just assume lower revs uses less fuel but if there is more slippage at lower revs in an automatic would 2nd gear actually be more efficient and possibly even more fuel efficient?
Also doing a bit of research it seems that with electronic Auto you can 'tune' the gear box. Never heard of this before. Anyone done this? E.g. JR Tuning UK - Gearbox Tuning, Gearbox Remap, Gearbox remapping, DSG, SMG, S-Tronic, R-Tronic, MCT, Tiptronic, Tuning, Kent

Really appreciate any input:|

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Autos are not that common over here. I really thought these would be simple questions Stateside. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
@fylor

Do you still have the Forester? DId you get an answer elsewhere? I know this was 5 years ago, but recently bought my XT 6 months ago and interested in whether you get or had any replies... :)
I also have had the 'silence' where forum members have either seen the post but don't know the answer, or maybe more experienced members roll their eyes, think "OMG, this has been asked amillion times, search the damn site moron!", but it can be quite a big search for a novice and newby ! So you have my sympathies there ;)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Nick, yeah, still have my second SG XT. Still enjoy it. Never did get any tech info on sportshift box. I do not believe they get it Stateside. One guy did say their auto boxes can be altered slightly as in standard form there is a slight drop in revs as box changes up. This can be 'programmed' out to give a sharper change. I did research an Auto Box tuner in the UK but there were dubious reviews so I gave up the search. Sorry can't help more. Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah, no worries.
My understanding is you would only tune the box if you update the power with a remap, to deliver gear shift better. I've heard messing with the gear ratios on standard power makes it a bit weird to drive... but maybe not for you if you have a specific need for it up windy mountain roads in Spain! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts