Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 LL Bean Edition Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for options to reduce/eliminate road noise in my wifes car. The drivers side window appears to have warped that molding when the window is completely up. The road noise is quite loud during road trips and we live in a rural setting. I rode in a different 07 Forester which sounds just as bad as ours and I road in a new Forester where the road noise is MUCH lower! I'm not up to date on the Forester terminology so please be patient with me as I'm learning!! :)
I spoke with a parts tech at the Subaru dealership in Springfield told me the standard door weather stripping/molding replacement will not address the noise issue for this model/year.

Please share with me your lessons learned and the sources used for materials to correct this issue. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
279 Posts
if its wind noise, i think the weather stripping would help. If there is a gap between the window and the strip, itll make a lot of noise.

The car is a noisy car. If you are looking into a tedious job, look into sound dampening for car audio like dynamat, kilmat, noico..etc

fill in under the floor carpet, line the doors. line the sheet metal with butyl mats. for the doors, get close cell foam lined with MLV and velcro the two together (needs a small space between the two materials) and line the door panel.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
122 Posts
I agree with frijoles: Replace the rubber gaskets around the doors and the hatch. Then if you want it even quieter use the butyl rubber sound deaden-er inside the doors and under the rear floor. I used Noico from Amazon with excellent results but there are lots of brands. I've used a roofing product called Peel 'n Seal available at Lowes, too. It's inexpensive, doesn't smell like tar but it doesn't stick as well as Noico.

YouTube is your friend; watch how other people have insulated their cars and you can learn to do it yourself.

Closed cell foam is the last step and most people skip that step. It's expensive, difficult to glue on and the butyl rubber satisfies most of us.

Lots of forum members have done this project so don't hesitate to ask for help. You'll be happier with your car after it's done.

https://noico.info/instructions/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts