2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up -

On this mod - http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-light-mod-03-t4703.html?t=4703 - I assume that by tapping into the orange wire on the back of the fuse panel that constant 12V is being supplied to the fog light relay, so that the fogs will operate independently of any other lights.

If I were to place a relay across a high beam and then use that to power the fog light relay under the dash, would it accomplish what I'm trying to do (have the fogs/DRs come on ONLY with the high beams)?

I would really like to use the factory fog switch to control the DRs, and I'm looking for the best way to go about it.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update - success!

I used this mod - http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-light-mod-03-t4703.html?t=4703 - to get the fogs come on with the high beams. I then wired the coil of a relay across a high beam to only allow the DRs to come on with the high beams. I used the switched wire to a fog through the high beam relay to trigger the main relay in a heavy-duty Hella harness that I purchased with the lights.

The Hella Rallye Compact 4000 DRs, even when placed behind the grille and with a tinted film on them, do add a noticeable amount of extra light with the standard 55 watt bulbs. Next weekend I will swap out the 55s for a set of 100 watt bulbs - I'm betting they will give me the results I'm looking for.

I'll get some pics next weekend.

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Hey man,

So can you put the fogs on when you have no lighting on at all? I wanna be able to turn them on all the time regardless of whether or not my lights(running, headlight, or high beams) are on.

Is the dangerous to the circuit wiring as you are drawing alot more amperage.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See post #331 in this thread.

The DRs are wired to come on only with the high beams when the factory fog light switch is on. The way I wired the driving lights, the OEM fog light switch/wiring/relay is only energizing the coil of the driving light relay in the Hella harness (very little load, much less than stock).

The Hella heavy duty harness I purchased with the lights is carrying all of the load.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
post again when you can shoot flames out the grill :biggrin:

good job on sleuthing out the wiring.
how do you find aiming them back there?

ps, did you put an inline fuse between the lights and the relay? my 100w driving lights used to like to 'hold' the relay open after the switch was turned off.. sometimes gave other drivers an eyeful, sometimes burnt off a set of lightcovers.. even killed a cell of the battery once. Fixed by having a connection under the hood, had to remember to hook it up in order to shoot flames..

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
post again when you can shoot flames out the grill :biggrin:

good job on sleuthing out the wiring.
how do you find aiming them back there?
Well, I used a somewhat unique method that worked out quite well - I should have taken pics. Here's what I did -

There are two alignments needed: side-to-side (so both lights are facing straight ahead) and vertical (so lights are aimed slightly down).

When I installed the lights and with the grille off, I removed the lens assemblies leaving only the housings. The housings have a perfectly flat front edge, so I took a 2 foot level and held it against the front edge of both lights. I turned each light until they were both sitting flat against the level - this effectively aligned them side-to-side.

I also had a "torpedo level" zip tied to the 2 foot level in a vertical position. With the 2 foot level held against the front edge of the housings, I then adjusted the lights so that they were aimed slightly down, just under level. With the lights aligned, I locked them down and double-checked with the levels.

I did this aligning in my garage (which has a level concrete floor) and with the car sitting on all four tires. It worked out well enough that I see no need to do the conventional aiming procedure.

The 100 watt bulbs draw just over 8 amps each (about 16 amps total). They are connected to a 30 amp relay which is connected directly to the battery through a fuse. No issues so far.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
I just did mine. I followed the directions exactly as in the pdf from ScoobyMods. It worked perfectly.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Can't remember exactly the ScoobyMods schematic, but I rewired my fogs to pull current from the mirror heater circuit since the plug was right there and mine didn't have heated mirrors. Now I can use them whenever I want.

I am always amused at folks that say they should never be on with high beams. Evidently they have never driven dusky-dark, curvy country roads in deer country and seen results of deer collisions or had near-misses themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts