Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester STi Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My radiator popped. Is there somewhere I can get a brand new one? Same part as a UK wrx or something?

Temperature was OK just before, so rust I guess. Certainly can see some near the top.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
321 Posts
I have this saved as a favorite, you would need to check dimensions/part numbers but I must have saved it as a booked mark when browsing sometime

Hoses from ICP as Will mentions above. Best to give them and ring to confirm, very knowledge guys and will sort you out.

Be warned that the original Subaru replacement is £350

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,934 Posts
Samco does some sexy hoses if you can wait.......

I contacted Koyo Radiators UK distributor and they said there were none in the country at the time. They needed a minimum order of 5 to get some Forester specific radiators made :( I've added myself to the list but if anyone else wants a pretty looking ally radiator, I'll pass on the contact details to join the list.

I have the warranty terms and conditions too if anyone wants to see them - Basically as long as you use antifreeze in your coolant mix, they'll cover problems. However, being aluminium, you can fix it yourself by welding and no weak plastic end tanks like the factory radiator styles.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,922 Posts
Mishimoto hoses are cheap at £56 for the pair afair.

·
Registered
2007 Forester STi Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any guesses why that split? And if the top cap didn't release the pressure, I presume that's knackered too?

·
Registered
JDM 2002 XT
55 Posts
I'd say the age of the part and temperature cycles over time.

In your second pic, that edge running horizontal were the folded alloy tabs meet the plastic.......my rad split right along this edge several weeks ago. When I pulled it out you could tell the plastic had started to become brittle more than likely due to age and heat.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
536 Posts
Any guesses why that split? And if the top cap didn't release the pressure, I presume that's knackered too?
They all do that. Japanese cars have a habit of either brown brittle rad tops that eventually explode or in our case the plastic top comes away from the alu core. Yours looks like a big failure.

Mine went within a month of my friends FSTI rad failing in the same way. Both imported the same time and same year with similar mileages....

I replaced mine with a Mishimoto unit.

·
Registered
2007 Forester STi Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it was quite dramatic when it went, spewing out of the side of the bonnet. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from my destination and drove it there in 4 goes with a few minutes to stop in between each to cool down. Cheers for the info

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
1 Posts
They all do that. Japanese cars have a habit of either brown brittle rad tops that eventually explode or in our case the plastic top comes away from the alu core. Yours looks like a big failure.

Mine went within a month of my friends FSTI rad failing in the same way. Both imported the same time and same year with similar mileages....

I replaced mine with a Mishimoto unit.
How's the fit with the mishi? I messaged them last night to ask if their XT rad would fit the STI but they couldn't tell me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts