Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester NoTurbo 5 speed standard
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start up my '07 Subaru Forester X the power steering is noisy and resistant to power the steering. It is full of fluid and no leakage I can see; it almost does not work as I maneuver. After awhile it seems just fine but it is a good amount of time. It seems that it is the standard pump type of unit (not electric) but I might not spot anything different.

I live in a city and park on the street or in a driveway and have to maneuver out to the street at low speed so it is always noisy and I fear I am testing the system.

I bought this car from a young guy who was into snaow boarding and there is telltale scratches around the body of the car from deep snow driving. I wonder if he taxed the system too much.

Thoughts and comments are sought becasue I cannot find anyone woith issues arounf power steering on Subarus.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,629 Posts
Sounds like the P/S drive belt is loose, and needs tightening. Check your ALT - P/S belt by twisting, if you can twist it past 90 degrees it's too loose.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,011 Posts
Does the fluid appear foamy after turning the wheel a few times?

If it does, it is a sign air is getting into the system. There is an O-ring that you can change and costs 50 pence from memory and typically solves the problem.

Or the pressure relief valve in the pump is failing from old age and you might be looking at a new pump. If you do need a new pump, I would recommend avoiding a refurbished pump from Cardone. I went through 2 of these and both were dead on arrival. I ended up going with a new pump from the dealer in the end

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I start up my '07 Subaru Forester X the power steering is noisy and resistant to power the steering. It is full of fluid and no leakage I can see; it almost does not work as I maneuver. After awhile it seems just fine but it is a good amount of time. It seems that it is the standard pump type of unit (not electric) but I might not spot anything different.

I live in a city and park on the street or in a driveway and have to maneuver out to the street at low speed so it is always noisy and I fear I am testing the system.

I bought this car from a young guy who was into snaow boarding and there is telltale scratches around the body of the car from deep snow driving. I wonder if he taxed the system too much.

Thoughts and comments are sought becasue I cannot find anyone woith issues arounf power steering on Subarus.
Hi. Check all solutions posted +, check the intermediate steering shaft. This is the u-jointed shaft between steering wheel and steering rack. These can dry out/wear and get quite rusty and stiff. I had to replace mine @ 150k and I also flushed fluid and refilled with Redline synthetic. good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Forester NoTurbo 5 speed standard
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the P/S drive belt is loose, and needs tightening. Check your ALT - P/S belt by twisting, if you can twist it past 90 degrees it's too loose.
I think this may be the problem since I CAN twist the belt 89 degrees...guess I will have to do that chore. I no longer enjoy working on modern cars, it why this is the first such that I have bought...my old '84 Soob was so easy to work on Lotsa room (once you lifted the spare).

Oh well. Gettin old

Thanks

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
I lost complete steering once, thankfully still in the apartment's garage. Turns out the belt was completely shredded. Easy fix - by the mechanic! :LOL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts