Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 subaru forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have a general question concerning the paint and primer on this car. I have a lot of touch up and repair areas to take care of and I don't know if the paint is acrylic urethane, urethane, acrylic enamel, etc. can some one clue me in and also what type of primer to use? (Some areas have small amount of rust in them caused by [email protected]@cka&& in Home Depot parking lot who obviously doesn't know how to back out of a parking space!) :yell:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
377 Posts
My '17 has an ungodly amount of scratches around the door handles; much more than my much older cars (including my '85 Mazda). I assumed Subaru painted their cars with some kind of elementary school art class enamel.

·
Registered
2007 subaru forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you can't see it very well in the pics but when this guy backed up, he pushed in the bottom of the door (and crinkled it) as well as flexing the paint from passenger door bottom to over rear wheel well. If you open the pics you'll see the lifted and cracked paint better.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,782 Posts
@mgmanusa have you looked here: PaintScratch.com :confused:

They offer complete kits, that would include everything you'd need for the repair.
PaintScratch sells original factory touch up paint for your car, truck or SUV.

Order the same touch up paint used by auto industry professionals in Spray Cans, Paint Pens, Brush Cap Bottles, and larger sizes.
► Disclaimer - I haven't purchased anything from them, so this is NOT a recommendation. I do have a repair project, so they were bookmarked in my browser. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
48 Posts
I'm not a painter but here's my method that has worked so far and none has started to rust after the fix.
1. Sand blast it spot sand blaster eg this Make sure to get all rusted area blasted as usually rust is in much wider area than it looks from surface. Sanding and chemical rust remover might work as well. Sanding itself don't as it can't reach the crevises where rust is.
2. Primer it with 2K epoxy primer. This is the most important barrier to prevent rusting.
3. Base coat eg. using original touch up paint from Subaru
4. Apply clear coat. 2K acrylic recommended. You may use the clear supplied with the touch up set, but 2K is better.

Mixing these 2K products I found it easiest to use disposable pipette. This way you can mix very small batches.

Following is optional.
5. Shave clear coat even with the surrounding paint by tungsten block.
6. Sand the affected area with water and 1500 grit sand paper.
7. Polish the area with polishing compound. You may use cotton cloth and rubbing compound. I like Menzerna products but any brand will do.

If done properly, the fixed spot will get very hard to notice. Quite labour intensive but very rewarding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.