Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: This 'project' has been delayed AND escalated. Long story short, I will be acquiring the car officially and bringing it home, north of the border. I couldn't see it leave 'the family', so to speak. Build/ownership thread coming as soon as I have the time.
I feel that this is an ominous start for me on these forums. Despite not owning a Subie since 2013, I have enough co-workers with them that have required my emotional, physical and technical support while pulling engines and trans to get my Subie fix while owning several German cars. I am also getting 3rd-hand info from the dealer that had provided a $5k quote to repair it (rad and HG job) and I am trying to piece this all together long-distance - a 7-hr drive away - so, bear with me.

I am trying to find a 1-2 year solution for my GFs '07 Fozzy X until we both feel that she's ready to switch to a manual with a 5-sp or 6-sp swap or buys a new car. I am leaning towards purchasing a low-mileage JDM engine and simply doing the long-block swap, but am disappointed by the $1000-1200 price difference between the non-AVLS and AVLS EJ253 engines for a mere 8hp difference. So, when push comes to shove:

• Does the AVLS ECU run the non-AVLS engine properly? Any possible CELs?
  • Am I safer finding a non-AVLS ECU? Are the ECUs immobilized (matched with keys? Maybe a very VW question)
I want to keep this repair under $2000 and avoid machine shops to eliminate as many variables as possible. I also plan on taking the bad long-block back home with me to machine, rebuild and re-swap if resale is the final option. I was planning on comparing the wiring diagrams this Sunday, but I figured I should get a headstart with info here.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@rsCoupe Sorry, I have made no progress on it as I have been extremely busy with work and prep for the holidays. I have since learned that the issues were nowhere near as critical, so I'm looking at just a rad change/cooling system overhaul which I will be completing next weekend before I haul it home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@rsCoupe Sorry, I have made no progress on it as I have been extremely busy with work and prep for the holidays. I have since learned that the issues were nowhere near as critical, so I'm looking at just a rad change/cooling system overhaul which I will be completing next weekend before I haul it home.
Any updates? have a 2007 forester that just siezed the engine. hoping to swap with a non avls ej20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts