Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports Automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 XT Sports 4EAT with the Vehicle Dynamic Control. I have the spongy pedal feel that most everyone on here has so I'm trying to replace the master cylinder, add a brace, and stainless steel lines. The problem is I simply cannot find the correct master cylinder. I talked to a dealer and got a part number of 26401SA010 but it has been discontinued and none of the auto parts stores I have checked (Oreilly, Auitozone, Advance, Pep Boys) aside from NAPA even has a listing for it. The NAPA model is an Altrom (Nabtesco?) ATM P3042 for $755! The cylinder my car has differs from the normal one by having both ports facing the driver's fender instead of one in that direction and the other facing upward in front of the reservoir.

Secondly, I couldn't actually find the part number for the cylinder by VIN on parts.subaru.com. I could only get there once I called the dealer and got the number. It does list a rebuild kit as available with the number of 26471FA022. I'm afraid to trust the site. Does anyone have enough experience to know if the kit is compatible or if I can swap the internal seals over to the internal parts on the one I have? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
What is written on your master cylinder?
May be cast on either the side, or the underside of the cylinder. May also have stamping on the face. Upload a pic of it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the end of the cylinder is has "68N" stamped in and on the bottom it only says Bosch" and "Japan". Here is a comparison image I borrowed from another forum member. My MC is on the left.

· Registered
2018 Forester XT, CVT
95 Posts
This is the site I use to find parts.

Here is ur obsolete master cylinder.

Here is ur booster.

Try and see if u can cross reference other models to find something that will work?

· Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
1) You could rebuild it. If the internals are all good, its just replacing the seal (and if required, maybe a quick hone to smooth the bore). You can keep hunting down the appropriate rebuild kit, or take measurements of the seal and order it. Alternatively, take it to a brake shop, and they’ll work something out.

2) If the alternate MC is the same bore diameter and length, and also mounting holes etc., you could fit the alternate MC and bend some new (or additional) brake line to meet the new port location.

3) take measurements of the current MC, and track down a like for like Bosch fitment, or alternate Brand fitment. The MC on your car, has likely also been fitted to some other make and model.

4) of if the old MC was not leaking, and in functional condition. You could clean it, and reassemble it, and see if its ok to use.

So either way... you need to find out the model number of that MC, and also the dimensions. As this will help track down what you need.

See if you can find ‘absolutely’ any other markings on the MC, that can be used as a search term. Could be on the reservoir, push rod, reservoir cap.

The other direction(s) to search from, is via brake booster numbers, and maybe even the VDC (if its unique to your model). The the car USDM?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is he site I use to find parts.

Here is ur obsolete master cylinder.

Here is ur booster.

Try and see if u can cross reference other models to find something that will work?
Thanks. I have used Heuberger before. They have good prices. As far as I can tell, this MC was only used on the USDM 2007-08 Auto XT Sports and 08 XT Limited. I'm not sure about other markets though.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) You could rebuild it. If the internals are all good, its just replacing the seal (and if required, maybe a quick hone to smooth the bore). You can keep hunting down the appropriate rebuild kit, or take measurements of the seal and order it. Alternatively, take it to a brake shop, and they’ll work something out.

2) If the alternate MC is the same bore diameter and length, and also mounting holes etc., you could fit the alternate MC and bend some new (or additional) brake line to meet the new port location.

3) take measurements of the current MC, and track down a like for like Bosch fitment, or alternate Brand fitment. The MC on your car, has likely also been fitted to some other make and model.

4) of if the old MC was not leaking, and in functional condition. You could clean it, and reassemble it, and see if its ok to use.

So either way... you need to find out the model number of that MC, and also the dimensions. As this will help track down what you need.

See if you can find ‘absolutely’ any other markings on the MC, that can be used as a search term. Could be on the reservoir, push rod, reservoir cap.

The other direction(s) to search from, is via brake booster numbers, and maybe even the VDC (if its unique to your model). The the car USDM?
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll respond in order.
1. I have found one rebuild kit (mentioned above) from Subaru that was in the same Subaru diagram as the MC but I'm having trouble trusting it since when searching by VIN it told me I could use the non VDC MC. I have also never disassembled one before so I am hesitant to do so on the one I have without more confirmation on replacement parts. I may try to find a used one on car-parts.com in a junkyard somewhere nationally to test or practice on.

2. I am pretty new to brake lines so I will research that option.

3. There are 3 specific models that I am aware of :07-08 Auto Sports XT, 08 XT Limited. There may be more.

4. The measurements may have to come from the used part mentioned in #1. I will look more closely for other markings and check out the booster as well. My car is a USDM model.

· Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
854 Posts
Is the length and outside diameter of yours, the same as the other MC? If so, should be able to look up piston/bore size.

They are reasonably simple. You may need some circlip pliers.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, its been awhile. I've either been researching, working on the car, or kind of avoiding it. lol I'm going to take it on a few more short trips but I think I have solved my issues. First off is the master cylinder. I finally got down to a google image search of "subaru master cylinder". I finally found some random site that had one that looked the same. After some more digging, it turns out Oreilly's carries an MC for a 2004 Outback that is virtually identical to the one on my Forester. It even specifies VDC in the description. The part no# is 11-3066 and it's around $90. It fit perfectly (or so I thought). I moved on to installing stainless steel lines. The front went fine. The hard line fittings on the rear broke off on both sides from rust. I then learned a new skill of repairing brake lines. Then the rusty rear caliper bracket bolts either rounded or broke. A few days went by and new bolts arrived. I also replaced both calipers because the rotor wear pattern on side wasn't looking good. I get everything bled and go for a test drive. The brakes were very responsive but it felt like I had to hit gas more than normal. I get home and smell hot brakes. I go from park to drive and the car doesn't move. A week goes by while I learn about pedal adjustment. I go another test drive. It's better but I can put my foot under the pedal and lift up slightly and they stop grabbing as much but then I lose pedal pressure. Finally I learn about adjusting the brake booster push rod and sure enough (whether because aftermarket or for a different car) the depth inside the new MC was about 2mm shallower than the original. I adjusted it, reassembled, and bled everything again and it seems to be working great.

I wanted to document this in case anyone else with an SG sports ends up with a similar problem. I also wanted to thank everyone for the help and suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts