Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm going spare trying to work out how to wire my LED light bar to my wife's 07 Forrester.

Wanting them to only come on with high beam plus a switch. I dont understand this high side/low side stuff. Driving me bats.

Any pointers?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,444 Posts
Assuming that things are the same in Oz as they are in the US, simply connect the coil of a relay across the two terminals of a high beam bulb (with a switch somewhere in between to turn things off and on). That will make the relay close when high beams and the switch are on. Then use that relay to control the light bar.

Your model Forester uses low beam for DRL, which is fortunate in this situation. Some other models use high beam, which could interfere with this approach (fool the relay).

Check things out ahead of time by turning the lights on and seeing if you can feel the relay click when you touch its wires to the headlight terminals. And unclick when the lights go off.

Check out the two links at the end of this post for success stories. And confirm what I said about using low beam for DRL. Things can be different down under.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts