Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do both for my love of driving thru the trails at night. Would like to know the best system at the lowest cost.

Also, how would I mount lights on the roof rack crossbar for a better angle and not have a mess if wires inside the cockpit? Perhaps something removeable?

Don't want to do the install myself. I want a warranty from an installer! I'm stupid with electricl stuff and could fry all the electronics. Deadly scared of doing that!

Don't need an arclight, just something to light up the tral for 50-100 yards ahead.

Thanks in advance,
Rick in Lutz, Florida

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
I used Norman's Autoglass to install my lights. They are very professional, at least in my area. I did not install Safari Lights (on top of the car) but I got a Rally Bar + modified Rav4 Skid plate.

I am thinking of getting a "real" skid plate from primitive.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Norman's Autoglass to install my lights. They are very professional, at least in my area. I did not install Safari Lights (on top of the car) but I got a Rally Bar + modified Rav4 Skid plate.

I am thinking of getting a "real" skid plate from primitive.
"Safari Lites", good term. I sure could use them on our humble adventures in the Withlacoochee.

My bookkeeper (wife) just told me yesterday to slow down on our purchases. But Father's Day is coming up...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
One of our local club members is a metal worker and builds both light bars and skid plates. He does excellent work and I'm pretty sure he's built them to fit the Forester.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I wish someone would make a lightbar/skidplate combo. Something like what rally innovations had, but with a skidplate ie a skidplate that wraps up infront of the bumper with a simple tube lightbar to mount lights infront of the bumper/grill.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I have a separate skid plate and have mounted my Hella 500FF's on the front on my Yakima basket.

Not a big fan of teh combo because it will take away from your approach angle.

I would get some under body armor and mount your lights where you can.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish someone would make a lightbar/skidplate combo. Something like what rally innovations had, but with a skidplate ie a skidplate that wraps up infront of the bumper with a simple tube lightbar to mount lights infront of the bumper/grill.
I thought a rig like that would be available somewhere, but I guess not. Maybe just a skid plate and lights on top, attached to the rack. Driving at night in the woods requires more of a floodlight application I think.

Would be handy if the lights could be detachable.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
That is my goal. It will probably involve trimming the front bumper to allow the 1.5" to 2" tubing to turn up without ruining too much ground clearance. Then there will be a 2 piece skid plate that curves up in front and has a smaller portion that can be removed for ease of maintenance.

This won't be happening for a while, but it is what I want to do.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,696 Posts
@belly007 note that @Legacy last signed onto the forum 4 months ago. You could send him a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. He's optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.