1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
07FXT 4EAT here,
I’ve been getting huge overheating after a coolant drain and fill a few months back.
Checked it out and found cracks in the radiator.

ordered a mishimoto rad and external trans cooler.
Put them in and burped the system to get all the air out. No leaks anywhere.

Problem 1 - fans don’t kick on even when coolant temps get to 194 on the Cobb accessport even though the dash temp gauge stays in the middle.
Turned the AC on to test the fans and they spin up every 10 seconds or so.
What’s up with that #1?

Problem 2 - went to remove the intercooler to get access to the tranny dipstick.... and found white stuff in the metal line that runs introns of the intercooler. I’ll attach a pic if I can.
What’s up with that #2?

Thanks for your time and help in advance.
7D9E2044-44E7-4504-8896-429AD2E9F779.jpeg 6E663733-C2D6-4659-977B-86841B6DEE52.jpeg

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. My fans usually come on around 200-203F
Thanks for that info.
I went for a drive and temps fluctuated between 185 and 194. Stopped for 10 minutes with the engine sunning and they went up to 200. Still no fans came on.
Turned AC on and temps went down to 197.

went to the grocery store for 20 minutes,drove 5 minutes home at about 35 mph... temps went up to 245.

checked coolant tank and it’s full to the brim.
It was at the high mark when I started..... and there seems to be bubbles in there?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not a good sign; usually indicates a headgasket problem
So when I initially bled the system, there were so many bubbles it seemed like foam . My guess was that all the air from the new rad had to be pushed out by the new coolant.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1/17/2021 Update
Did a thermostat test after running car for a while. Top rad hose got super hot while bottom rad hose was ice cold. The interwebs (Brian from YouTube) tells me that my thermostat is not opening to allow the hot fluid to flow through.
Thanks @Butch_Coolidge
I bought a new one from Advance ($9) and will put that in tomorrow. ( should I get one from the dealer instead? Is there a difference?)

I also purchased one of those blue liquid carbon gas tester and tried it. Liquid remained blue after 3 minutes.
Will try again after changing the thermostat and going for a drive.
Will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
@maximus nismo I’m no technician, but I would bet that the thermostat you purchased will be perfectly fine. Hope this takes care of your issues. Please update us. Best wishes for a great 2021!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,315 Posts
Thermostats for Subaru's have a jiggle pin that must be installed so it's orientated properly. And also replace the gasket as well.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,315 Posts
Yup, you got the thermostat with the jiggle pin and gasket. Just make sure it's orientated in the proper manner. The idea is the jiggle pin is to allow a minute amount of coolant to flow from the engine block into the radiator to allow any air pockets to to pass into the radiator and eventually "burped" out into the overflow tank.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reporting in.
Had a mishap with a chisel and sliced my finger real good. But , the work goes on.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tested both with boiling water....
The new opened a lot faster after being immersed.

But, here’s another wrinkle..... found a lot more champagne bubbles when I removed the top hose.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 4EAT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got an OEM thermostat after reading mixed reviews of the parts store replacement. It opened up a lot faster than the stock one when tested.

Put it in and burped system then went for a drive.

Temps stayed in the 185-194 range. Went up to 201 twice.

The lower rad hose is now warm....good sign while the top is no longer blazing hot, the combustion gas test liquid has remained blue and the fans come on by themselves now.

So to wrap this up, methinks the issue was indeed the thermostat not opening, therefore no hot liquid going to the ECT therefore the fans not turning on, lead to overheating and boiled liquid blasting in the engine bay.

Will drive to work tomorrow and report back.

Thank you for your time and patience as I learn about this car. Definitely different than my S14.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts