Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2007 X 2.5 NA. 174k miles. Coolant level is normal, but the heat nor the a/c works consistently. The heat will be warm... then driving down the road it will get cool...then back to warm. Sometimes it will stay hot the entire time just idling in the driveway. Engine temperature never gets above or below normal operating Temp. The vent blowing also blows out the same pressure from the “feet” to the “face & feet setting. I have ran out of ideas...reaching out for help. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! 1k miles ago Subaru dealer put new a/c and SERP belt on it. I replaced the coil pack and oil change. Thats been it.

·
Administrator
13,814 Posts
@BHODGE0311 So the drive belts were changed but not the timing belt?

If the coolant has been changed recently it may have air in the system and needs to be "burped"

Here's some threads that may help:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, coolant was not flushed or changed. I “burped” it with the star bolt on the radiator still nothing has changed. it’s just not making sense the temperature gauge isn’t showing hot...but the car is acting like head gasket issue would show.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
912 Posts
I wonder whether your control is jambed to half heat / half cold - not sure what that part is called but maybe the control knob isn't attached to anything.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,527 Posts
@BHODGE0311 you have an X, so I'm going to assume you have manual controls, I prefer the manual over the automatic climate controls.

I'd check the cables where they attach to the dampers, make sure the cables are correctly secured in the locks. If they've popped out, you won't get full control.

Note that the control cables crossover, as in, the left knob cable goes to the passenger side & the right knob cable goes to the driver side.

If you had an aftermarket head unit installed, it's possible the control cables were not correctly reinstalled. This is how the lock looks under the dash. There's on on either side.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything is fine behind the dash, i did notice now that the coolant gets low after i drive it for a couple days....but it still doesn't overheat like a headgasket. Even when coolant us full...or low it still reacts the same with heat and or a/c go does not stay continues hot or cold while driving down the road. Temperatures gauge barely moves...even anything it gets cooler currently at 50degrees or below. Could it be the heater core? Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
37,527 Posts
<snipped>i did notice now that the coolant gets low after i drive it for a couple days....<snipped>
Questions:
  1. Do you have to add coolant to bring the level back up?
  2. Have you checked the head gaskets for seeping or leaking?
Bobby...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had to add very little once and that was about a month ago. I am still able to see the coolant in radiator and reservoir. I don't see anything seeping from or around the heads.

·
Administrator
37,527 Posts
The coolant should be at the full mark when cold. As the engine warms up, the coolant level will increase, but should not be expelled from the overflow/expansion tank. If the coolant level is dropping below the full mark, when cold, then the coolant is being lost. The coolant loss can be from leaking or ingestion. Unfortunately both can be the result of failing head gaskets.

The coolant in the overflow.expansion tank should be clean... no oiliness, no bubbles. Either of those conditions could point to head gasket caused issues.

At 174K miles, is your head gaskets are sound, you're lucky!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,021 Posts
The thermostat is most likely stuck in the open position and not regulating the temperature. Engines get colder above 40 mph on level ground as more air passes through the radiator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts