Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 5spd Manual
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone know why this is happening? The nozzle is all the way in. It happens at every gas station, every time. It didn't happen when new. It started intermittently a few years ago, then progressed to every fill up. I've heard of people not being able to get fuel in at all before, but this happens only at the end when the pump clicks off.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,028 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
554 Posts
Slow the flow when the tank is nearly full. I fill full blast and then release the trigger to a fraction of full blast when the fill gets to about 45 L (3/4 tank). Usually the entire fill is about 52 L (85% of the capacity of the tank). Are you sure it didn't happen when new? Sometimes the flow is slower, if there are a lot of cars filling at the same time or the station is low on fuel or something like that.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
656 Posts
Generally speaking, you can actually hear the fuel gurgle up the pipe when the talk is almost full. Don't move your head closer to hear it though. For obvious reasons.
You can click it off and slow down the flow once you start hearing it.

I too wonder how this can happen. It's supposed to click off as soon as fuel comes back up the pipe. It also doesn't look like it's in all the way btw.

The angle of the fuel-nozzle doesn't look right. There's supposed to be a smaller hole near the bottom of the opening that is designed to fit the nozzle-end fairly close.

Would you mind sharing a picture of the inside of the filler tube? (what you see inside when you take the gas-cap off)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
992 Posts
It doesn't look fully seated in the video, I would think, because the rubber is not "in" the fuel door/fill area on the Foz. It would not appear to be fully inserted and - therefore - getting the right pressure back to click off the pump fill.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, as mentioned..... If that's the way your filling up your tank, that could certainly be why you're having problems. ....but then again, your pump looks different than what I'm used to in California. You can't even do that here as it requires the pump to be properly seated and has a sheath of sorts.

......also, it will shut off (when seated properly) whether you're manually filing or flip the tab to keep the handle depressed.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
554 Posts
Maybe the pump is shutting off correctly, but just higher than it should be because the pump isn't inserted as far as it should be.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It IS inserted as far as it goes in the video. That nozzle (conoco) is a bit weird but at shell, exon, etc. where they have a "normal" nozzle where the rubber sheath is up against the filler opening I get the same result. I usually let the pump go automatically & shut off by itself but have done it manually too. I always make sure the nozzle is in as far as possible. I'll get a pic of the filler tube tomorrow. I guess I'll also try to listen more carefully & manually click it off. With my wife's legacy, my WRX & My SS Sedan, the same filling procedure yields normal shut off, Just the FXT has this issue. When it started, it was only like every 3rd time now it's constant.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I can't get a good shot with the flap opened, I'll try to find my endoscope & take a video of the inside later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts