Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Wasn't sure which forum to put this in - Mods please move if needed)

I was just wondering if anyone has done, seen or heard about converting a forester to a sleep-in-able vehicle.

I know there isn't much roof height to play with so i'm not quite sure on which way to go about it.

I'm thinking either a full shelf/draw in the rear (ORS draw style), either a fridge on one of the sides of the rear boot area, or just use the shelf as storage for bags etc. then an extended shelf/sleeping ledge running down the opposite side.

Purchasing a pod for the roof to increase storage area, but also trying to figure out how i can stash my bike securely too.

basically trying to brainstorm how to do a bit of a convert to make a (more so) fit for traveling machine. Yes, i could just go out and buy a van and be done with it, but where's the fun with that!

Anyone any ideas on the legalities on removing the rear seat (or part there of)?

Not too worries about having passenger capabilities other then the front seat, but if i could leave either the single or double upright of the rear seats in place that'd be good, but not essential.

Appreciate and thoughts and suggestions or links to similar ideas.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
I sleep in my Forester every day during lunch break. No mods. I think most folks put the back seats down flat and find that to be adequate for a night or two when the Forester must become a temporary camper.

As far as securing the bike, get a hitch mount bike carrier.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
There is a company that makes pop up tents for are roofs & mount to the cross bars.I don't remeber who it is thought.

joe r

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
153 Posts
There is a company that makes pop up tents for are roofs & mount to the cross bars.I don't remeber who it is thought.

joe r
Roof top tents, camping, off road, 4wd, fishing, tents, outdoor, hunting, Quick tent, car camping
Oasis II Tent Roof Top Tent From Everything SUV
Hannibal Rooftop Rack and Tent | Gear Patrol

Although, you might not want to sleep on top of your car. Subaru has some sticker on the roof rack that says a bit about '150 lbs'. Also, the roof itself might not be up to the task, no matter how crashworthy a Forester is!
I'd strip out the rear seats, build in some sort of a 2-piece plywood floor (for ease of access/removal) to cover that section and use it for storage. Something where the plywood floor acts as a cargo area extension (same level). You could also do the same over the cargo area. Make the support frame out of square aluminum tubing, with brackets and cotter pins. For the shelf over the cargo area, make the support frame asymmetrical, so you can put your feet beneath the cargo shelf comfortably while sleeping.

I knew of some guys at university who would build a false floor in their dorm room and sleep beneath it, having a living room on top :icon_cool: :Banane35: :rock:
Otherwise, I'm really just tossing some brainstorming ideas out at ya.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I put my nice thick futon in the back of my foz with the back seats down when I got a new couch. I kept it in there for a whole summer, was perfect for going camping and to the drive in movies! Had enough room in the rear foot wells for most of my stuff, anything else went in the back and then moved to the front when sleeping. With a roof box it would probably be perfect, maybe even get a small trailer.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
153 Posts
I put my nice thick futon in the back of my foz with the back seats down when I got a new couch. I kept it in there for a whole summer, was perfect for going camping and to the drive in movies! Had enough room in the rear foot wells for most of my stuff, anything else went in the back and then moved to the front when sleeping. With a roof box it would probably be perfect, maybe even get a small trailer.
Oh I forgot about the drive in movie theater by Rochester! ummm, was that the Vintage Drive-in?

·
Administrator
14,119 Posts
Although, you might not want to sleep on top of your car. Subaru has some sticker on the roof rack that says a bit about '150 lbs'.

Static weight with a roof-top camper is not a problem. Would only be a problem if you stayed up there while the car was out on the highway :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Off-topic: For a while ago some smart dude over here put his snowmobile on the roof of a WW Transporter. Guess what the police did when they noticed the car coming...
What's weird tho is how did he ever managed to get the snowmobile up there. :crazy:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
94 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question - why is 150lbs different when the vehicle is static compared to being on the highway (is it that 150lbs bouncing around while driving?)

(I ask because I really like the roof top tents and have been mulling over the 150lb limit).

Cheers - Steve

Static weight with a roof-top camper is not a problem. Would only be a problem if you stayed up there while the car was out on the highway :icon_razz:

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
The only time I slept in my Forester was when I was driving about 600 miles to visit friends and halfway thru the trip (when I stopped a motel for the night) realized I had forgotton to take my wallet...ouch. Having no cash and needing some shuteye...I folded down the rear seat, moved the lug wrench and mini snow shovel out of the way and bunkered in for the night. It was actually quite pleasant and comfortable (had a thin blanket) until about 3:30 AM when I awoke to cold drizzle outside...it was late October and it got pretty cold inside the Foz...what we really need is an in-car fireplace...that would make it nice and cozy...except for the carbon monixide poisoning that is...lol

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
.I folded down the rear seat, moved the lug wrench and mini snow shovel out of the way and bunkered in for the night. It was actually quite pleasant and comfortable (had a thin blanket) until about 3:30 AM when I awoke to cold drizzle outside...it was late October and it got pretty cold inside the Foz...what we really need is an in-car fireplace...that would make it nice and cozy...except for the carbon monixide poisoning that is...lol
what you need is this

·
Premium Member
2008 XT Sports
635 Posts
what you need is this

Id rather build a "manifold" oven..
Chimney riser is a great place for a burrito oven.... call Subtle Solutions!

Google "expedition vehicles". Lots of stuff for Toyota Pickup trucks, Land Crusiers and 4Runners - scale down the ideas and it would be great!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,520 Posts
Karla and I are stepping up, there is a point where 2 people, 2 big dogs and gear for multiple day trips just wont fit comfortably. Moving to a "bigger" expo vehicle. :woohoo:

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
when you said sleeper, i was thinking, well most people don't think of the forester as a performance car anyways...

·
Registered
06 Mazdaspeed6
19 Posts
Hmm... you'll probably want to upgrade the suspension to something a little stiffer, especially if you're not gonna be sleeping back there alone. Nobody in the campground appreciates a bouncy squeeky suspension when the going get's going.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,339 Posts
Im not sure if it was said but I know when I 1st read the title, I was thinking that EVERYONE knows a subaru with a hood scoop is serious business, and the sleeper option isnt there....Then I read the OP's post.

I so want a pizza oven BTW!

·
Registered
cat a
1 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question - why is 150lbs different when the vehicle is static compared to being on the highway (is it that 150lbs bouncing around while driving?)
Not sure about the static capacity of the roof but i'm sure Subaru's warnings have to do with the cars handling with too much weight up high.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts