Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Looking for a little advice on an automotive issue...

Anyway the car is still barely under the 60k warranty but the pump isn't covered as power train. Quote $650 for parts and labor for a new pump.

Car is making a cyclical squeaking noise that does seem to be coming fromt he power steering pump.

Guess my questions are:

Where can I locate a new pump for this. I searched and the prices were all over the place. Anyone have a good parts recommendation?

It doesn't look like it would be too difficult a job for a novice to do but I can't locate a service manual (any one have any help here via pm maybe?) and I've never replaced a PS pump before. I've done Brakes, alternator, plugs, fmic etc. Anyone know of a good walk through for this job?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
Have you noticed a difference in steering effort? Was a pressure test conducted on the pump? The squeak could be due to a loose power steering belt, not the pump.
I had a similar issue, so I changed out the PS fluid and adjusted the alternator and that fixed the squeaking.
BTW, you can buy an OEM part for about $370.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for your response!

Nope. No difference at all in steering feel. I'll look into changing the belts and swapping the fluid. Hope that will help. Hard to believe the pump could be bad in 59K miles.

I'm not sure what if any tests they did to diagnose the problem. The bill (got charged 30 minutes labor) doesn't state what tests were done. Only "recommend new power steering pump and both belts. Customer declined." I'm going to call and see what test were done.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
i just came from checking out an independent shop today. my noise i thought was the alternator came back. :icon_frown:

they said for power steering they almost always put in a "seal kit" and rebuild the unit instead of swapping out the unit. i still have to research what i may want to do. since it takes Dexron AT fluid, I tried putting a few oz of Trans-X additive in to see if it would quieten things down any.

i have changed power steering units a couple times before and it's not too hard, but a little messy. with it being that new it would probably be OK to re-use the hoses. i tried to "flush out" the old fluid when i did it. i can't remember the exact procedure, but I believe you disconnect one of the hoses and add more fluid to reservoir and manually turn steering back and forth with car off to get old fluid out (worked on an older toyota). check the manual, search the forum, etc.

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
Check the PS pump fluid. It should be reddish in color and should not smell 'burnt'. The accessory belts are inspect-and-replace-if-necessary items and slip or fail way before the pump does.
Let us know why the dealership recommends the new pump. It's hard to diagnose a PS pump issue without fluid leaks, a deep whine which emanates from the pump or shuddering when the wheel is in the full lock position.
Subaru recommends ATF-HP or Dextron III for the PS pump. At 60K miles, it wouldn't hurt to swap out the fluid.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Be sure to have the system flushed as well! Subaru recommends flushing the system at 30K and again at 60K as I read my owners manual (2010 Forrester) Also, speaking of PS issues... my car with all of 500 miles on it, squeaks like the dickens when it's cold. I'll be taking it into the dealer next week to have that checked out. Once warm the squeal goes away. I never had a car do this before when new. It's not the belts, it's the pump itself. Adding insult to injury I thought it needed a bit of fluid so I grabbed a bottle of ATF and proceeded to pour about two tablespoons into the reservoir. SHOCK! the bottle contained OLD and VERY dirty fluid! Now I'm also going to have the system thoroughly flushed when I take it in. I don't think a couple of tablespoons will hurt, but this is old steering fluid I sucked out of a previous Subaru...and extremely dirty. I stopped pouring as soon as I saw what was coming out of the bottle, but not before a couple of tablespoons made it into the reservoir. I have since thrown that bottle away so this never happens again! I had used the bottle to place the old fluid as I sucked it out with a turkey baster... and forgot to toss it afterwards. Dumb move!

Ken H.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't have any time to mess with it yet and it's just not a terrible problem at the moment. But I don't want it to turn into a terrible problem so I won't be putting it off too long! I'm going to look into a fluid swap and belt replacement and/or alternator adjustment. I have no understanding of how they diagnosed a new PS pump was needed. I called back and the shop manager said that his tech wasn't available so he wasn't sure what tests were done. Seems fishy to me. If a pressure test (or any test was done) it seems they would have indicated the test results on the service ticket. Not that I'm accusing anyone of anything. This is a brand new subaru dealership in Tallahassee.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
does "flushing" PS mean using some product added to the fluid and then disconnecting a hose to remove it all, OR just disconnecting a hose to remove it all and possibly run a little new through to clean it out good (like brake system)?

i noticed my PS fluid smelled funny, more like someone put in "power steering" fluid instead of ATF Dexron. is that a severe issue?

so far the Trans-X seems to have prevented the noise from coming back. it never sounded extra-loud or funny when turning, which is another reason why I thought it was my alternator at first.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
oh, local prices for power steering pump:

o'reilley's $93 + $50 core

napa $124 + $63 core

carquest $148 didn't note core

dealer $465

·
Registered
2011 Forester touring 4EAT
39 Posts
There is a TSB that sounds like it might apply to your vehicle, I dont have the information in front of me but it involves replacing the P/S pump pressure relief valve for a noise when cold. I'll look it up tomorrow and post another message about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a TSB that sounds like it might apply to your vehicle, I dont have the information in front of me but it involves replacing the P/S pump pressure relief valve for a noise when cold. I'll look it up tomorrow and post another message about this.
I'm really interested in seeing this Tech Service Bulletin! Do you have a numbe for reference for it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump for TSB info?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I did find the abstract of the TSB for the power steering pump for a 2007 Forester X. It indicates a symptom of a groaning noise at full lock. That it may be caused by the relief valve in the pump and in lieu of replacing the pump the valve is replaceable. The car has more of a squeal at full lock but it's definitely a problem.

My questions are now this: A TSB would be covered under warranty wouldn't it?

Shouldn't the dealer have acted on the TSB when we came complaining about the problem?

Just trying to figure out if these folks are trustworthy or not. Don't wanna get hosed but also don't wanna jump to any conclusions!

Thanks everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts