Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking her up tomorrow. Cleanest 13 year old car I've ever seen. Subaru dealer did a pre-purchase inspection today and told me if I didn't buy it he would, so pulled the trigger. First item on my list is a new stereo head unit to get bluetooth and carplay. After having CarPlay in my family's other two vehicles, it would be hard to go without it!

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
399 Posts
No way it's a PA car! Looks Great!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@winnerone23 Sure is! Single owner...apparently two older people that kept it garaged....only 74,000 miles on it! Looks like they completed every single Subaru recommended service according to the CarFax report. I asked why there were car seat indentations in the back seat...salesman said they were grandparents and traded it for an Acura RDX. The only major thing wrong is a baseball sized dent in the right front fender...can't see it in the pictures. I'm going to see if it can be done paintless, if not I'll have it fixed at a good body shop. I'm glad the previous owner didn't try to have it fixed. I'm hoping that when I open the glove box, the manual has all of the service records with it! I'm doubtful, but still optimistic!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts
@fotomatt1 I noticed that, but I wasn't sure if it was the picture? When I bought my '07 FSXT, it had a dent in nearly the same location! The first stop for my new to me Forester was my trusted Subaru dealership body shop for some TLC, as it also needed a new rear bumper cover.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only other major cosmetic issue is the windshield. It has a scratch clear across and is somewhat pitted as you'd expect a 13 year old windshield to be. I'm considering taking it to Safelite and having them put a new one in. It's only $225, so might be worthwhile.

The Subaru body shop in my area is excellent and they can take their time since this is an extra car for my family.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
399 Posts
Rare forms, still do exist! Lol..
I almost edited last night, that I could be wrong. My 99 RS coupe is a PA car(Philadelphia, at that) that is rust free and clean(204k).
Same as you 2, the windshield looks sandblasted but not bad enough to replace , just yet.
I had already replaced the windshields in my 05 FXT and 08 STI Forester sport.

My 05 had a dent in the passenger fender too! It came from me wrenching on it tho. (Early ownership, leaning on it). It came out wonderfully!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not going to find much cleaner than this in a 13 year old car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that is truly beautiful! Congratulations on the new ride @fotomatt1!
Does have some dings and needs some TLC. I’m gonna take it to a paintless dent removal place to take care of most of it.

I have a long list of stuff I’d like to do to it...bummer I can’t do it all right away but it’s more important I do all the maintenance stuff first.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were asking $12,500 based on low miles, 1 owner, no rust (shocking in PA), 100% clean car fax showing all recommended maintenance completed. The dealer also put $1700 into it with new brake pads and rotors all around, new rear wheel bearings and a few other things. I was able to get them down to $12k even but no more than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 owner, no rust (shocking in PA)
Eh? Why is everyone shocked? The 1-owner, 120k-mile, '07 2.5X Sport I just 'picked up' from PA is essentially rust-free too (only a 1/4"in diameter spec on left rear quarter and some specs of clearcoat peel/fade). Or am I just disillusioned by the rot I have 6 hours north and the quantity of Subaru sheet-metal I/we have replaced on co-workers' cars in the past 2 years.

Nice purchase.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First purchases for my ‘07 FXTS:

New window gussets....bad wind noise on the highway. I figured I’d try this first before doing any of the other door seals since this seems to be the culprit for most of the wind noise in these cars.

New K&N panel filter. I figured I’d check out the air filter and see if it was dirty. Turned out there was already a K&N in it, but the rubber around the edges is falling apart. A new one for $50 is prob worth it.

New LED bulbs for high and low beams to help with the weak-sauce halogens. I didn’t realize how good the LED’s are in my ‘19 F-150 until I got in this old Forester!

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
34 Posts
Nice. Headlights and a K&N are always my first mod for any vehicle I purchase. Exceptional mileage on that find. I thought 130K on my 04 was low, but nothing compared to yours.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. Headlights and a K&N are always my first mod for any vehicle I purchase. Exceptional mileage on that find. I thought 130K on my 04 was low, but nothing compared to yours.
I’ll probably replace the headlight housings / lenses at some point too. Looks like these headlights were cloudy and restored once, but the eyebrows are still a bit cloudy like they didn’t polish all the way to the edges. Is like the blacked out headlights from the ‘08 sport.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed my LED high beams today and then changed out the window gussets. What a difference on both fronts! Wind noise, gone, and I can see on dark back roads! I tried to install LED bulbs in the low beams, but I couldn’t seem to close the latches on them and the dust covered wouldn’t fit either. Anybody have an H1 LED option that easily works on our cars?

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
34 Posts
You're going to have to go with the rubber boot to replace the stock cap to cover and seal. Something like this HERE would probably work for you. Does your mounting ring on the bulb twist and come off? The 9003 bulb I used did, and so I just locked the ring in with the clips and put the LED assembly back in, and twisted back to level. The new dust covers should go on the LED assembly before putting the entire assembly back together, because you want the fan/heatsink mechanism isolated and able to breathe on the outside of the dust cover.. You'll end up fighting with it all for a minute, and then you'll get it all to work out.(y)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're going to have to go with the rubber boot to replace the stock cap to cover and seal. Something like this HERE would probably work for you. Does your mounting ring on the bulb twist and come off? The 9003 bulb I used did, and so I just locked the ring in with the clips and put the LED assembly back in, and twisted back to level. The new dust covers should go on the LED assembly before putting the entire assembly back together, because you want the fan/heatsink mechanism isolated and able to breathe on the outside of the dust cover.. You'll end up fighting with it all for a minute, and then you'll get it all to work out.(y)
The H1 bulb is not twist lock like the 9003. It has wire retainer clips that have to lock the bulb in place. I might opt for brighter halogens for the low beams as I've seen several posts from people saying I'll blind people with LED's in the stock reflector housings and I should only put LED's in the high beams. Does anybody have any recommendations for good halogen bulbs besides Silver Stars? I want them to be a cooler color tone (6000 or 6500ºK), so Silver Stars might be about it.

Also, can anybody give me a hint how to get the eyebrow bulb out? I can't seem to find where it is on the back of the headlight housing. I'd like to swap those for LED's too if I can.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts