Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2007 Forester NON Turbo for about a year now. It has 80K miles on it and is consuming just about a quart of 5W30 oil every 1,000 miles. So far, I have performed an engine flush and replaced the PCV valve and it is still consuming about the same amount of oil. I drive mostly on highway daily at about 75-80mph at about 3200 RPMs. To my understanding, these motors DO consume oil, but not at the rate I am experiencing. I am the second owner and I am guessing the previous owner didn't drive this vehicle daily. I have called the dealer to find out the process of elimination to oil consumption before having to rebuild the motor and I am now at the conclusion that it needs rebuilt. Is there something I am missing? I haven't heard of anyone having to do a rebuild this early without driving being rough on the motor. If I do have to rebuild or replace the motor, I have had thoughts of adding a turbo or swapping for the turbo EJ25 or maybe even the EJ255 STI. The reason I want a turbo is to be able to climb the mountains in Arizona without excessive abuse on my engine. Any and all suggestions would help and It'd be greatly appreciated. I do have a lot of mechanical background but this is my first Subaru and I would like to keep it for a long time. Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the first part of the year I ran 10W30 and there wasn’t much difference in oil consumption

·
Registered
2010 Forester
135 Posts
First thing to check is head gaskets, they are known to fail.
Second thing is to ditch the dealer and find a local independent Subaru shop.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing to check is head gaskets, they are known to fail.
Second thing is to ditch the dealer and find a local independent Subaru shop.
No head gasket leak and I never took it to the dealer. I do my own work and have friends who work at the dealer that explained their process of elimination. I will try running 10W40 and see how that goes. I am just needing info for when I do need to rebuild or replace the motor.

·
Registered
2013 crosstrek, Forester+
137 Posts
I would run basic diagnostics such as compression test and then leak down test. I suspect rings are leaking which may happen on these engine if not broken in properly. Heavier oil may help with low oil pressure but may only help a bit with consumption. I would try adding 20% Marvel Mystery Oil with fresh oil change and run it hard for 1000 miles to see what happens but only if the leak down test is not definitive. Find a Subaru shop to look for wrecked donor if all else fails. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts