Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
wrecking yard ... or online to find a new bumper cover... then paint to match.

OR you could just remove the cover and get one of those custom fabricated metal tube bumper things...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,538 Posts
@ImFiredUp no insurance to cover the repair cost?

If you have an auto body shop do the work, you'll be surprised how much it can cost! Also, there may be unseen damage to body behind the plastic bumper that needs to be repaired?

Also...
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Kean

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
55 Posts
An EBAY rear bumper cover (primed) would be less than $150. I bought a paint kit for my 2017 Black Crystal Forester from EBAY (about $50) that consists of: 3 large spray cans, factory color coat,
compatible primer, & compatible clear coat. This might be an option if you think you might be able to structurally repair your existing using fiberglass matt, resin, and Bondo. BTW, I bought
a factory color matched FRONT bumper cover for my Forester for about $300 (shipped).

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can take multiple avenues to fix the issue:

1. Buy a new bumper and all the other damaged pieces yourself and have the shop paint match.
2. Remove the bumper and repair it yourself with the plastic welding kits, and then take to the shop to paint.
3. Go through insurance have them take care of it.
4. Leave it alone.
5. Go to a pick-n-pull and locate another bumper, have it painted and install it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
288 Posts
i backed into a pole and had a crack almost like yours and the bumper itself had a big dent in it and the body guy said it has to be straitened or the fasteners will have tension on them and might keep poppin out. see if you can get the cover off to look. if you still have full coverage it might be time to use it depending on the condition of the car.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
349 Posts
wrecking yard ... or online to find a new bumper cover... then paint to match.

OR you could just remove the cover and get one of those custom fabricated metal tube bumper things...
The bumpers with the spare tire mounts do look pretty good on a boxy little beast.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
That is an option - as long as an off-road beastie is his plan... I know a few folks with them (mostly newer SK generation Foresters).

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,319 Posts
I have some similar damage to my front bumper. There’s a through hole in the bumper about 2” diameter. I’m going to replace the bumper and have it paint matched. Repair never looks perfect.

Bumper is relatively cheap, it’s the paint work that is expensive. $500 deductible makes it more expensive.

I’ll look for an independent body shop person and buy the oem bumper myself.
The oem bumpers do not come primed either.
Pull a part places are hit or miss.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
205 Posts
What are my repair options here?
View attachment 551760
Your repair options are really up to you.

People who own motor vehicles either treat them right or, not. They either have "feelings" for the vehicle or treat the vehicle with no more regard than the toaster in the kitchen.

IMHO, if you like your '07 Foz and it's been serving you well then fix it right; you probably couldn't buy a "new" car, that's equal to or better than what you have, for the cost of the repair ...even if the most expensive shop in town does the work.

Me? If the rest of the car were in overall great shape I'd get a few quotes from some local body shops. If you remove the "stigma" of a body shop dealing with an insurance company, they can usually give you a better price. Many insurance companies mandate the shop warranty the repairs for as long as you own the vehicle. They may also mandate the use of OEM body parts instead of aftermarket or salvage. All of which drives up the cost of the repair. Whatever, just make sure to tell the shop you'll be paying for this on your own.

On the other hand, this "dink" would probably fall under the "Comprehensive" rider of your insurance policy ...if you have it, which most folks do. So all you'd be on the hook for is the deductible. Is your Foz worth the deductible of your Comprehensive rider?

Sure, you can scavenge parts, buy some rattle can spray paint you hope color matches your car and do the job yourself. And probably end up with it looking like garbage. Which, if that's fine by you, then go for it. But if you care about the car and its appearance, then do it right.

·
Registered
2003 Baja, 2006 Baja, 2008 Impreza
125 Posts
Will this fit? If I strike a deal for 300$ am I spending too much?
View attachment 551831
As a retired ins adjuster go to a site I used when I was writing. www.car-part.com enter your year, car, part, location if in the USA, (if not then ignore this post) price, zip code and go from there. The listings will generally say how much if any damage. They will say color and this is where you save. You can order in factory color, unbolt yours and install the new one. Bumper covers do not match from factory. Look at mid 2000's Audis in silver for worst offenders. If a bumper color matches, it's usually an indication the front or rear was repainted. Not 100% true but mostly. It's a nationwide site and you can call them. Your paint code will be any number of places, either front door frame bottom if I remember, could be B pillar tag, I forget anymore. As for the damage, if I had to write something for the claim rep, my guess would be a higher bumpered veh backing sideways dragging the rips and tears laterally. Due to body line deformations, this is a tough repair although I've seen Keystone do them. Bodyshops refuse as those rips etc are tough to guarantee.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your repair options are really up to you.

People who own motor vehicles either treat them right or, not. They either have "feelings" for the vehicle or treat the vehicle with no more regard than the toaster in the kitchen.

IMHO, if you like your '07 Foz and it's been serving you well then fix it right; you probably couldn't buy a "new" car, that's equal to or better than what you have, for the cost of the repair ...even if the most expensive shop in town does the work.

Me? If the rest of the car were in overall great shape I'd get a few quotes from some local body shops. If you remove the "stigma" of a body shop dealing with an insurance company, they can usually give you a better price. Many insurance companies mandate the shop warranty the repairs for as long as you own the vehicle. They may also mandate the use of OEM body parts instead of aftermarket or salvage. All of which drives up the cost of the repair. Whatever, just make sure to tell the shop you'll be paying for this on your own.

On the other hand, this "dink" would probably fall under the "Comprehensive" rider of your insurance policy ...if you have it, which most folks do. So all you'd be on the hook for is the deductible. Is your Foz worth the deductible of your Comprehensive rider?

Sure, you can scavenge parts, buy some rattle can spray paint you hope color matches your car and do the job yourself. And probably end up with it looking like garbage. Which, if that's fine by you, then go for it. But if you care about the car and its appearance, then do it right.
Am a retired ins adj and if I had to make the call as to collision or comp, I'd have to go with coll due to streaks of white being similar to white paint or clear paint transfer and the puncture in the plastic. I worked the Philadelphia market mostly and got such situations quite alot and most common was "I hit a deer." Never did it but was tempted more often than not to ask if the owner thought Bambi had painted her hooves that morning with whatever color paint I saw. Also due to my observations I would clearly note the file that it appeared to be a sideswipe while parked most likely and then the owner would not be found at fault and no surcharge is applied.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have some similar damage to my front bumper. There’s a through hole in the bumper about 2” diameter. I’m going to replace the bumper and have it paint matched. Repair never looks perfect.

Bumper is relatively cheap, it’s the paint work that is expensive. $500 deductible makes it more expensive.

I’ll look for an independent body shop person and buy the oem bumper myself.
The oem bumpers do not come primed either.
Pull a part places are hit or miss.
See my previous post for www.car-part.com and see if you can find one in color

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
If a bumper color matches, it's usually an indication the front or rear was repainted.
That‘s interesting.

Due to body line deformations, this is a tough repair although I've seen Keystone do them. Bodyshops refuse as those rips etc are tough to guarantee.
Are you referring to the bumper cover, or somewhere in the metal? Would’ve thought it was easier to replace the bumper cover.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That‘s interesting.

Are you referring to the bumper cover, or somewhere in the metal? Would’ve thought it was easier to replace the bumper cover.
Bumper cover. This particular impact did not get into rear body panel, sill, 1/4 panel, tailgate. Foam absorber, bumper reinf, bumper cover, that's all. Those lines in the cover can't properly be rebuilt in a timely manner. Replace the bumper cover and move on to the next job unless more damage is found.

Generally the bumper covers are painted in one factory, the rest elsewhere. Some of the things that will make color differences are tint being slightly off. Flow rates on surfaces and drying times for the solvents to evaporate. I forget but there are about4 or 5 things that will affect color. I've explained this to owners and they more often than not will say they never saw the difference. But trust me, Audis are notorious for colors being off. Toyota Camry is another. Next time you're out & about, keep an eye out as you drive along. Be surprised at what you now see now that your attention has been drawn to it. I often had reinspection assignments, sometimes when a shop had done a poor repair and I, having the critical eye I have had to separate out shop work and previous work if there was any. Made the job that much more interesting and I had to make sure no bias entered any decisions. Now that I'm retired, I can't get it out of my head as I drive, I see "stuff." Glad I didn't work in the sewage business.

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
688 Posts
Generally the bumper covers are painted in one factory, the rest elsewhere.
Ah, that would make sense.

Next time you're out & about, keep an eye out as you drive along.
I assumed it was because of the underlying material difference like metal vs plastic, different texture etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts