Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester X
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also quick qestion of hte day, I was thinking about just buying some i guess 20 guage or whateva guage wire I would need to make my own "grounding wire kit."

The 07 from what i notice now and didn't see before has a lot more grouding wires already in place but I do not see one coming from the alternater or AC unit does anyone have a diagram of a grouding kit or a pic from their own N/A that has a kit in it?

If so it'd be nice to see one so i can match it up other wise i guess i will wing it and try to figure out the best spots. Than post pics to see if people think it will work right.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,386 Posts
The biggest difference is when you pop the hood to show people the hamsters, they're like "Wow! Nice grounding kit!"

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,113 Posts
I was thinking about just buying some i guess 20 guage or whateva guage wire I would need to make my own "grounding wire kit."
Wire gauges are like golf scores--smaller is better. Most of the grounding kits I've seen discussed here run in the 4-8 gauge range.

2000 posts!

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,119 Posts
Vautrain (what ever became of him? Hope he's okay,!) made mine and I found that it cured, almost completely, the annoying lag/lurch when coasting at 30 MPH to a lite and then lightly accelerating........that weird lag/lurch and thunk is competely gone.........MPG are slightly better and have stayed solid all the way up to the present...just under 100K miles.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester X
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got home tonite and my headlights were still on and I put my windows up and kept holding it after they were already up by accident and it made my headlights, foglights and dashlights all dim, but not the stereo and the stereo volume didn't dip either.(my AC wasn't on)

This makes me think that this grounding kit will help me tremendously if I'm losing power like that.

Could this be because of the stereo and the sub? Should I maybe look into a stronger battery or another one to just power my amp and potentially the amp i want to get for my normal speakers?

Or will the grounding kit help this?

·
Registered
04 XT
521 Posts
all subaru's are prone to the dimming of the lights. replace the battery with a better one like an optima red top and it should be ok. you could also (if your anal about it) try the sun auto hyper voltage. it's like a cap for the car battery. should help with the dimm. the ground will help the sound of you audio equip if your into sound a lot it's a must. try it

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
What amazes me is both of my last two Subies will dim lights ever so slightly at a stop if I tap on the brakes. The gauges will dim just enough that you can notice it. Its rather odd since the lights don't suck that much juice.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester X
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grounding wire kit

So I bought some 10 guage, only because that is the lowest ace hardware has, it's white wire and I got yellow connecters to match all the other yellow parts under the hood. I didn't really know where to ground it, but i attached it to the ground wires already attached and to numerous other places.

Here is the pic of the whole thing and then some of the closer pics are after it

So when I was tightening the ground wire to the battery ground location I def over torqued and broke the bolt, so I unscrewed the fuse box and kinda wedged it to the side its not moving at all with a good amount of forced applied and then i screwed the battery ground and the last part of my ground kit into that spot for the time being until i get that half of the bolt out of the hole. bummer hu

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,760 Posts
When I did mine I used leftover power wire from my amp install.
I used a power block (2 gauge in and 8 gauge out) and connected it to the throttle body, coil and two to the block

1 - 20 of 59 Posts