Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07 Forester XT auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new owner of a XT 2007.

I would like to know what is the biggest tire size can I use with stock suspension.

Someone know???

Thank´s-

I promise put some picture of my new car ......

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts

I would like to know what is the biggest tire size can I use with stock suspension.......
-------------------------------------------

I have a 2003 Forester, which I would guess is the same suspension-wise as an 07. I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 225/70-15's on my car currently. The quoted specs for the tire diameter was 27.4" I had to grind a little (very little) off the front calipers to get the 15" wheels to fit, but it wasn't hard and doesn't affect the strength of the caliper.

I went to a 15" tire/wheel combo because when I bought these, the AT Revo's had good write-ups and looked like the best choice for my needs but wasn't available in a 16" size that I thought would fit.

By the way, I have been very happy with the Dueler Revo's on dirt, sand, pavement, snow and rocks (no punctures yet in many miles off pavement and over some pretty sharp nasty rocks), all over California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, etc. Haven't had much experience with them in mud though.

The 225/70-15's clear everything ok except they rub a little on full lock on the inner fenderwells, but not badly - and on the plastic covering the body seam just behind the front tire. The tire rubs the plastic there a little, but again, only when turned pretty far (further than you would have the wheels turned at any speed on the pavement). I have just about worn out the tires from a lot of miles, but haven't worn through the plastic anywhere, so I think it's not a problem for this size.

By the way, if anyone has used a larger diameter (or wider) tire on an 03 to 08 Fozzie, I would like to know too, as it's tire buying time, and I want to put the tallest tire on that I can, to get some more ground clearance. I am willing to take a hammer and "adjust" the seam behind the front tire as long as the tire will clear the struts etc. I can also switch to 16" tires if there is a good tire choice out there in 16" that's not available in a 15".

The Tire Rack (highly recommended) doesn't list the 225/70-15 Revo anymore, but does list the Dueler Revo as available in 235/70-16 size with a 29" diameter - just about perfect if it will fit. Has anyone gotten away with this particular size in whatever brand/model tire ? If so, did you have to modify anything ?

One final note re width : The wheels I'm using have a different offset than the stock wheels, which may affect the side of tire to strut clearance.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,600 Posts

I would like to know what is the biggest tire size can I use with stock suspension. Someone know???

Thank´s-

I promise put some picture of my new car ......
First, welcome to the forum from Oregon!

When I decided to go from stock 215/60-16 to 235/50-17 I went here Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES You plug in the tire/wheel you now have on one side & plug in what you want to try on the other side. You will instantly know if you're going to have issues. Of course going to a larger (taller) tire will throw off your speedometer...

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1996 Miata
179 Posts
Hi, rather than hit 'new thread' I thought I'd bump this sucker.

From 2 posts above, has anyone successfully fitted a 225/70/16 or 235/70/16tire to a STOCK SG XT rim?

I'd like to have something taller than the stock 215/60/16 on the Foz to fill in the wheel wells a bit better. I don't really care about max'ing out the width, as it's mainly my commuter car. So maybe a 215/70/16? Or 215/75/16?

Thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,520 Posts
Some people say a 215/70/16 will fit. Others say it won't. No way a 75 will fit. I'm running 215/65/16 and it's pretty tight at full lock. I will stick to the 65's, I believe a 70 would rub at full lock on a rough road.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
73 Posts
I would suggest that you consider some Swift Springs. Lowers the car a little over an inch, improves the handling, resistance to rollover and the wheels look much better. Increasing the tire/wheel dia. will cost you horsepower and screw up your speedo. Almost everyone on this site that bought them is very happy.

·
Registered
1996 Miata
179 Posts
Interesting - thanks!

I kind of like having the stellar ground clearance, just wanted a bit more bulky appearance. I have the Miata on Konis if I feel the need to carve!!

Plus, living in VT I've found that the extra inches can come in handy...

I'll cross off the 75 and check out 65s and maybe a 70 or two next time 'round.

Cheers

Tyler

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
1 Posts
I have an 04 XS and was looking for the bulky look but wanted the same height. Any sizing ideas? I might be looking to run an all terrain or something along those lines. Wanted some input since i cant post since im new.

Thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester
1 Posts
I Also have a 2004xs, have you changed to a larger size with this or similar year? What is the actual effect on acceleration ( which is a bit slow already..)? I'm planning to keep my wheels, is 215-65-16 a too conservative change or 215-70-16 leave room?
Will there be room for chains after upping the size?
Thanks
Mischa

·
Registered
2005 forester Auto 4spd
1 Posts
Before you go wider on tyres consider the tyre - strut clearance if you may need to use snow chains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts