Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to a state that requires emissions testing after living in South Florida. My 2007 Forester XT has the Check Engine light on due to error # P2443, which I understand is some kind of emissions valve that never really affected me since it was never cold there (needless to say, I'm no expert here). Now that I live in a cold state, I notice a very strong smell of exhaust in the cab as the engine warms up, which I think may be related (?) and which makes me think simply deleting the code wouldn't be enough to pass emissions testing.

I've had multiple mechanics quote me around $2,000 to fix it, which seems insane, but I love this car and I don't want to get rid of it. What is my best option to resolve this problem so that I can pass emissions and stop huffing exhaust in the morning? Also, if we are going to tear the engine down to replace these parts, what other parts should I look at replacing at the same time? Engine has 150k miles and runs OK. Any other words of wisdom?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,411 Posts
@Yudo Nomi have you looked thru these threads?

Bobby...
['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@2.5x_sleeper Thanks for the reply! I did a search before posting, and I did see some of the threads you linked, but I don't have the option simply removing it and installing a block plate because I now live in a state that requires emissions testing, and the other thread showed how to actually pull the thing apart yourself but I'm not nearly that handy. Looks like I'm not the only person who got stuck with this unfortunate problem, and also looks like I'm likely stuck paying out my donkey to fix it.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,411 Posts
@Yudo Nomi no first hand experience, as I have not had any issues with the secondary air pump on my '07 FSXT.

As I see it, your options are:
  • Have the secondary air pump system repaired.
  • Depending on how the secondary air pump system has failed, you can have the CEL codes disabled... deleted. That can be done using open source or with COBB software. I believe you can do the delete yourself with open source. A tuner will have to do the delete if you go COBB.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts