Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2007 Subaru Forester X Manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I’ve read lots and lots of similar stories with similar issues on this forum but I still can’t solve the issue so here is my own experience on the matter.

The in-laws have a 2007 Forester (Australian model) and I was informed there was no power to the blower motor as the connection had burnt out. I checked all fuses and relays and nothing was burnt out (odd that the 15A fuse at driver fuse box had not blown?). Also pulled back black plastic and tape to see if any shorting out on cables at the blower motor which there was not. Next I measured resistance on the blower motor resistor as per other threads and everything checked out.
My thought was that the AC blower motor had worn out overtime and drawing too much current and needed replacing. I ordered a second hand one from a shop here in AUS and installed. Then I spliced in new wires and spade connectors as others did in other threads. I also put an inline fuse in to make sure if it were to still happen that it blew this fuse as the stock one was not initially popping (as it seemed to not do for others also).
Everything seemed to be working again except after running blower speed on ‘4’ for a while the 15A in line fuse pops. So I put my clamp meter around the positive wire and run again while idling on all speeds;

Speed 1 reading 4A, speed 2 reading 7A, speed 3 reading 12A & speed 4 reading 19A. If the stock fuse is 15A it seems that speeds 3 & 4 seem a little high.

After this I pulled off centre console and checked behind AC dials and no evidence of burnt connections or shorting out cables.
My question now is what should my next approach be with this problem? AC technically working on low speeds but burning out fuse on max speed.
Is it still worth replacing the blower resistor?
Could the second hand blower be dodgy also?
I’m stumped here guys, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Automotive tire Auto part Camera accessory Carbon Camera lens
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Cable Gadget Wrist

· Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,720 Posts
Is something dragging in the rotating fan. This is often symptomatic of bad bearings in the motor.

· Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,720 Posts
Generally if it spins easy it's okay. I don't know in this case but some applications with plastic housing will warp when mounting. This would be one side torqued more than the others. There you can loosen all the bolts and see if the problem clears then run the bolts up evenly.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts

· Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,456 Posts
You ordered a second hand one? Is it possible that it's no good?

Have you tried doing the same Amp test with the one you removed? Or was that one totally shot?

I wonder if the 15A fuse is for the controls and not for the actual blower motor. I can't remember if there's a relay for the blower motor. After a bit of reading online, 20A isn't an abnormal draw for a blower motor. Which does make me wonder if there indeed is another fuse or relay on that blower motor.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Generally if it spins easy it's okay. I don't know in this case but some applications with plastic housing will warp when mounting. This would be one side torqued more than the others. There you can loosen all the bolts and see if the problem clears then run the bolts up evenly.
I’ll give this a try thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@smucky7 welcome to the forum!

Have you looked thru this thread?
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
Hi Bobby,

yep sure have, that’s how I got as far as I have.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You ordered a second hand one? Is it possible that it's no good?

Have you tried doing the same Amp test with the one you removed? Or was that one totally shot?

I wonder if the 15A fuse is for the controls and not for the actual blower motor. I can't remember if there's a relay for the blower motor. After a bit of reading online, 20A isn't an abnormal draw for a blower motor. Which does make me wonder if there indeed is another fuse or relay on that blower motor.
Yeah it definitely could be, but good point I will put the original one back in and then do the same test. Another reason why I wanted to order a new blower was because the pins on it had completely singed so I don’t know if the spade connectors would make good enough connection but worth a shot.
I didn’t think so either but they have a 15A factory so I’m not game to put in higher as the 20A was probably initially enough for it to eventually burn out.
I don’t fully understand the wiring side with the relays and stuff as I’m not really sure what their purpose is so I wouldn’t know where to look.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,111 Posts
@smucky7 on setting [4], the dropping resistors are not in the circuit, the blower is run at full battery voltage. If you suspect excess current flow, then you need to look at the load...

Also... note that the blower circuit has two 15A fuses, cabin fuse box, fuse #1 & #2, connected in parallel to the fan relay load [2] contacts.

Bobby...
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Schematic
Rectangle Automotive tire Font Gas Fixture

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Super Moderator
2,720 Posts
If the connectors are corroded or otherwise contaminated, that will increase the load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts