Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Made an account finally after using this website multiple times to fix stuff on my wife’s 2007 N/A Forester (manufacturer date 03/07 if that matters )

I found an awesome DIY thread on removing the AC clutch and adjusting the clearance, but it seems like everyone is re using the original clutch

Unfortunately hers took a poop and one of the springs completely snapped. I hope I’m using the correct terminology here, I’m a diesel mechanic and like working more with hydraulics and injection pumps ;)

Every parts house I’ve gone to only sell the complete compressor assembly ($500 - $1000) and it just doesn’t make sense that this part isn’t replaceable on its own without buying an entirely new compressor unit.

SO is this part replaceable on its own? If so, anyone have a part number? Are all 06-2008 foresters cross compatible with this part?

Thanks in advance!

- Ross

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,540 Posts
If it was replaceable and the part was available, we all would have done that instead of messing around with the air-gap adjustment. But sadly the parts were never sold separately so you either replace the entire compressor or like the rest of us we messed around with adjusting the air gap. I do know for my 2001, if the air gap get's wider, I'll likely be forced to replacing the entire compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a new compressor then...as adjusting the gap won’t fix this rattling around

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would removing the belt and leaving it off damage anything until we get it fixed ? From what I can tell that accessory belt only runs AC and nothing else

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,540 Posts
No harm in doing that at all. Just know that depending on how long you keep it disconnected, the seals may dry out and once you get it fixed, those seals may start leaking refrigerant. There are some owners on here that think it's OK to turn off the AC for 5-6 months living up north and the entire system starts leaking the following year....The seals do dry out, the general advise is to turn on the AC for several minutes every month during the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts