Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 06xt that won't start on warm starts intermittently. Starts fine when cold, but once it's warmed up sometimes it just turns over and over. If I let it sit a couple minutes it finally fires up and runs good again. I just replaced the fuel filter yesterday and it's still doing it. I had a walboro I put in with it, but swapped that out just a bit ago. I think the pump, albeit new, was bad.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Maybe the injectors are leaking a bit so flood one more more cylinders.
I've seen that and it becomes pretty difficult to start. While the car is cold, the fuel has bled out and has evaporated. When warm, it bleeds all this gas into a cylinder head.

Flooring while starting turns the injectors off but opens the throttle - pretty sure Subaru kept that feature. See if that helps. While that wouldn't be the fix, it could buy you a clue.
If that helps, you could try running some Techron additive through the gas tank. It is pretty cheap and does a decent job at cleaning the injectors.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
I was having the same problem on a 1999 Chrysler Concorde & it would even quit running going down the road & before I could pull over it would start running again, turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I had the leaking injector(s) issue and it's exactly as Remco described. Had my injectors cleaned and not sure why but that caused them to leak... after reinstalled. Cold starts were fine because the fuel evaporated off. Warm start it would be a slow chugging start...however you could definitely tell it was flooded. It would start but it was a chugging start. If I let it sit as OP described it wouldn't start any easier...would actually be worse because you repressurized the fuel rail and leaked even more fuel.

It sounds more related to the pump as OP suggested.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Fwiw the stock pump I put back on has 140k miles, could that be the culprit? The walboro I put on yesterday was new, but made repeated high pitched noises and the car was stalling. Putting the stock pump back on solved that issue, but not the warm start issue

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Bizarre...the Walboro should not cause stalling issues unless you have another fuel delivery problem.

If you take the vacuum hose off your Fuel pressure regulator can you smell fuel?

If it's a problem with the pump you could turn the key to the on position before you start it and you should hear the pump prime noise. If you don't that would be why it won't start.

edit: Double check the electrical connector at the pump. Any of those connections look burnt?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All connections look good. The walboro was priming, but then it would make these shrieking noises that would get louder and stop. Then it would do it again. None of that's happening with the stock pump

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
hmm...check your fuel pressure regulator. If it had a problem like sticking closed you probably wouldn't smell fuel in the vacuum pipe but maybe worth checking regardless.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, the car did it again yesterday after a short drive. I had to let the car sit for 30 minutes before it would start. I put the gas pedal to the floor and tried cranking, but that didn't help at all.
When it finally did start it was idling rough and died right away. It started right up after that and ran ok then
I'm taking it to a shop here soon, they can't get me in until next week. I'm tired of messing with it and replacing parts for no reason.

Edit: I did check the crank position sensor and it tested out fine at 2.15k ohms

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
I'm taking it to a shop here soon, they can't get me in until next week. I'm tired of messing with it and replacing parts for no reason.
Sorry about that. Please do report back when he finds out what he actual problem was as that may help someone in the future.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
107 Posts
My friend had a car at his shop with this exact issue. The fuel pressure regulator ended up being the culprit. He checked fuel pressure and it pegged his gauge (fpr diaphragm was ripped)

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend had a car at his shop with this exact issue. The fuel pressure regulator ended up being the culprit. He checked fuel pressure and it pegged his gauge (fpr diaphragm was ripped)
I've wondered if that could be it as well. I feel like it would make sense with the issues I had with the walboro. I'm picking up a new to me truck on Friday, I've needed something more reliable. I may give the fpr a shot while it's sitting.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have a used but perfectly operational FPR I can sell you for half price of new

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Check fuel pressure if the fuel pressure is good check for spark if the fuel pump works & has pressure it certainly could be your crankshaft position sensor I had the same problem like I said on a different brand, but the crankshaft position sensors work probably the same way, when the engine gets heat soaked & the crankshaft position sensor gets internally damaged after time

By the way where in the country do you live? The Deep South or where it gets real hot is a culprit for heat damage like sensors going bad, doubt its a regulator a diaphragm would be ripped all the time not just after a short trip

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Try this next time it won’t start when warmed up take a spray can of something flammable like WD-40 or a container of gas that you could squirt a little in the intake take the air box off make sure it won’t start on it’s own squirt or spray a little of the fuel in the intake & see if it kicks over or depending on how much & what you use if it try’s to start then it is the fuel pump, if not it might be the crankshaft position sensor, that’s how I figured out mine plus reading about some one else having the same problem & some investigation.
I actually had two problems the fuel pump went out first, then it was doing it again & turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts