Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 - Wont start in the cold - cranks, no start?

('06-'08) 
3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SoobyMD 
#1 ·
Ok so i have a 06 subaru forester and when it gets arou d 25 degrees or colder it wont start. It cranks but just wont start. But if you jump it it starts right up. I just put a brand new battery with 650 cold cranking amps in it. So we started doing research and what not and started checking sensors. We found that the mass air flow sensor was bad so we put a new one on and it still wont start. Another thing is that for some reason it keeps making the o2 sensors go bad after we changed the mass air flow sensor we discovered one of the o2 sensors is completly dead not working. So ive asked friends and mechanics and some of the advice ive gotten is something isnt gettinv 12 volts somewheres, check all the grounds, its not getting enough fuel. Here are the check engine codes before we put the mass air flow sensor on p0031, 0304, 0303, 2096, 0104 and after we put on the mass air flow sensor only one code came up 0031 if any of that helps. Thank you for any advice or anything. We have tried everything and we dont know what else to do and i really need to figure it out

#2 ·
Enough amps will start it?

So even with a new battery with 600+ CCA the engine will not start? However it will start with if the battery is jumped with another. I think the codes are unrelated to the engine not starting since a lot of amps will start the engine. You are using the right oil for winter? First look for loose connections and corroded terminals. How did you qualify the sensors? Did you simply use the codes?

#5 ·
My 09 acted the same way. I tried everything too. After tracing the Ign relay wiring, I found that the only thing it powers up is the coil. No power no spark so I began searching around. I read this article about Recall WTG-67 ( WTG-67 - Engine No-Start Condition in Cold Climates - 2015 Subaru Legacy & Outback ) , and decided to give it a shot. I swapped the Ign Relay with the Fog Light relay to test it. In the morning at 15F degrees out, it started with no problem, and it still starts in really cold mornings. Hope this helps ....

#7 ·
Same symptoms, same relays, and my Forester has been starting fine ever since I replaced the Main Relay and Ignition Relay. Being that relays are made in huge quantity batches, there are probably many "bad" ones that have been used in all kinds of vehicles for many different years. This may not solve a starting issue for all vehicles but it is something that should be checked.

#8 ·
Hello All, it's cold out again and my 09 Forester started playing games again. Temps below freezing, cranks but won't run. I did so many things before to solve this problem that I decided to take a different approach. Thinking about what would cause a heavy drain, I focused on the starter ! I swapped in a junkyard starter (from a low mileage vehicle) and guess what, it starts every time even when it's 0 degrees F outside. High resistance in the old starter when cold must have been robbing too much current from the rest of the electrical system. My Forester has 179,000 miles and starts every time now, knock on wood !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.