Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5MT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is shot, and I've heard it's easiest to pull the motor. If I have the motor out, I am thinking it would be a good time to replace things that might be coming due, especially that require or greatly benefit from the engine being removed. I'm thinking (in addition to clutch kit(EXEDY KSB04) & flywheel):
rear main seal & oil separator cover
timing belt kit (like Aisin TKF006)
thermostat (Subaru)
new serpentine & acc belts
cam & crank seals
head gaskets

I've recently done spark plugs so good there. The car has about 175,000 miles but running good. No obvious leaks but it does use a couple quarts of oil between changes ever since I owned it (~4 years?). Timing belt was done a little over 100,000 but I figure do that while its out, but head gaskets I'm not sure... how long do they usually last? I'm already taking on a huge amount of work with little time, but I'll probably keep the car a few more years... if its highly advised I'll do em. A lot of this work will be the first time I'm doing it, so another reason I might not want to do something too intensive if not absolutely necessary but I have wrenched on my trucks a lot and tractors.
Anything else? Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,427 Posts
Turbo or non turbo ?

Non turbo head gaskets don't last long usually. The Turbo ones last better but still generally fail around the 100K mark if not before.
If you decide to do the head gaskets, do not re-use the cylinder head bolts or they will fail soon after due to being Torque To Yield - you will need new ones. If you are using ARP cylinder head bolts - Those are re-usable.

How is your radiator? Any signs of cracks yet, they typically go around 100-120K miles too ish. Personally I would be tempted to change the lower radiator hose while you're in there, as cheap insurance.

If you do all that, you should be good engine wise for many years to come

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5MT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that TMX... forgot to add that its a NA motor, just a base level car. I am starting to wonder if this is going to be smart to do all this... I mean the car isn't worth much but its such a good runner and I've kept the interior like new (outside is rusty in spots and some recent collision damage so it'll never be a nice car again).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,778 Posts
If the head gaskets are done RIGHT they should last at least another 100K miles. You may have to do a wheel bearing, altinator and maybe a couple other th ings. But my grandaughter has 218K miles on my 2008. I don't see it dying anytime soon.

Replace the idler bearing on the AC also the tube gaskets on the HG have a tendency to leak....Oil on the base of the plug. Switch to 5W 40 or 10W 40 engine oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts