Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EJ204 Forester DOHC 2.0 manual N/A
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my transmission was shifting a little harsh and first thing I tried is replacing the tranny fluid/oil, as I don't know what oil they put in after the rebuild. (Yes the tranny was rebuild exactly one year ago).

I know some minor metal particles are to be expected. So it was shifting a little harsh and figured I would need maybe different oil and get the shavings out you get after a rebuild...

The thing is, the shaving on the plug is a little bit too large for my liking. If a shard this size I gonna get between the tight tolerance gears, your gonna have a bad time...

Shouldn't most shards have come out after the the guys who rebuild it flushed it?

See the photo with the shard on my finger...

Photos says it all...

Should I be worried?!

(It's a 5MT from a 06 Forester)

·
Registered
2006 EJ204 Forester DOHC 2.0 manual N/A
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So anyways as I'm typing this, the oil is dripping/draining from my tranny,( I am doing engine oil as well...)
I'll put fresh GL-5 rated Valvoline 75w-90 in...
...and see how things will go.....

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
971 Posts
Shouldn't most shards have come out after the the guys who rebuild it flushed it?
Who says the rebuild guys flushed it? ... but like the clarity of photos / explanation - and your path forward :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
428 Posts
I'm guessing OP has a manual, it was rebuilt a year ago but is now shifting rough, does that mean "gnashing gears" ? My guess is those shards are post rebuild in origin.

You rebuild a transmission with cleanlyness in mind, you clean each part to inspect as you decide what to replace, the housing is cleaned as well, you lube parts so they'll survive start up.

I never heard of rebuilding and then flushing one before use, to do so would just wash all the prelube away. One puts the transmission back in the car, then adds lube fill, then it's test time and done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts