Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new all-season tires for my 2006 Suburu and I'm a bit overwhelmed with tire shopping! My car presently has Michelin Premier A/S 215/60R16 94H tires on it (rated at 60,000). These need replacing now, with 47,000 miles on them. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend as much as I did on the Michelins b/c my Suburu has a lot of miles on it & I may be selling in next year or two. Also, I need to replace the timing belt too--a big expense! So I'd love to not spend a fortune to get a good quality, safe tire. I'm considering General Altimax RT43's, which were recommended on CR, but I see a lot of bad reviews for them & the ones they tested were T, not H, rated. From what I understand, I need to get the H rating. Also looking at Hankook H757 Kinergy PT. which I could get below $90/tire. Anyone else have a 2006 Suburu Forester with tires you love on it? I'd love to spend less than $100/tire if I can, but not with sacrificing safety, etc.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,907 Posts
Welcome.
You will want H rated tyres or higher I expect, if for nothing else, insurance reasons as that is the stated speed rating of the tire in the owners manual.

With your pricing aim in mind, I would suggest looking at the Hankook 4S2 H750 which is shown on discount tire as $10. Perhaps send @Discount Tire a message and see if they can do preferential pricing for forum members?

This is how the Hankooks performed in that exact tire size you are looking at: 2020 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

I run the Hankooks on a Honda Civic, similar weight to your Forester and I've been happy with them - They haven't been tested in snow though. I don't know if that is important to you. If snow performance is vital, I would suggest looking at the Nokian All Season options as they literally invented winter tires and their all seasons still routinely test outstanding in the white stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@TMX,
Hi! I really appreciate your replying and your suggestion, thank you. But I just looked the kinergy tires up and while they look like great tires, they are V-rated as far as I can see, and also definitely over my budget (I see them for $107 at the cheapest). So they don't look like they would be a good choice for me. I can look at the Nokian--haven't yet. Just to clarify, I'm looking for a 215/60R16 94 or 95H all season tire (incl. snow). Ideally, I'd like to pay $80-90/tire max.

·
Administrator
16,379 Posts
Welcome @Larali
Could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least, thanks:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that any threads / posts you create could be removed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
553 Posts
I need new all-season tires for my 2006 Suburu and I'm a bit overwhelmed with tire shopping! My car presently has Michelin Premier A/S 215/60R16 94H tires on it (rated at 60,000). These need replacing now, with 47,000 miles on them. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend as much as I did on the Michelins b/c my Suburu has a lot of miles on it & I may be selling in next year or two. Also, I need to replace the timing belt too--a big expense! So I'd love to not spend a fortune to get a good quality, safe tire. I'm considering General Altimax RT43's, which were recommended on CR, but I see a lot of bad reviews for them & the ones they tested were T, not H, rated. From what I understand, I need to get the H rating. Also looking at Hankook H757 Kinergy PT. which I could get below $90/tire. Anyone else have a 2006 Suburu Forester with tires you love on it? I'd love to spend less than $100/tire if I can, but not with sacrificing safety, etc.
I would trust a tire gauge before a silly number said by the manufacture. Chances are you can safely go beyond 60k as long as it has plenty of tire thread depth.
Same goes with the T, H, V rating. Its just a supposed speed rating. T rating is for over 113mph V is for 149mph. So unless you plan on going over 100 mph I would not even bother with letter ratings.

You are asking a lot from a tire that can do high speed, and do snow all for under $100. If snow was really an issue I'll buy a set of dedicated winter tires. You'll only need to buy one winter set and they would pay themselves off the next winter, cause you'll only use them for a few months. You might even get 3-4 years or more out of them. Storage is the only downside.

That being said, Hankook tire you mention is a good brand.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,907 Posts
@TMX,
Hi! I really appreciate your replying and your suggestion, thank you. But I just looked the kinergy tires up and while they look like great tires, they are V-rated as far as I can see, and also definitely over my budget (I see them for $107 at the cheapest). So they don't look like they would be a good choice for me. I can look at the Nokian--haven't yet. Just to clarify, I'm looking for a 215/60R16 94 or 95H all season tire (incl. snow). Ideally, I'd like to pay $80-90/tire max.
H Rating is a minimum speed rating of the tyre. V rating is much higher, so perfectly safe to use. The V rating tyres are just rated to higher speeds, so some might argue, less likely to suffer blowouts from overheating compared to an H rated tyre, assuming both are equally inflated.

I would absolutely stick to the minimum speed ratings for tyres from your owners manual. If you were to fit a lower speed rating T-ratied tyre, your insurance might argue you were using out of specification tyres, should you have a claim......... T rating are typically limited to commercial vehicles with speed limiters fitted elsewhere in the world. It seems odd the US hasn't joined that similar trend, especially with the money-thirsty lawyers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts