Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 forester 5spd
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
while waiting on some parts for my motor build I came up with a question that seems to have been answered already on other posts but not enough to make me feel confident. I ordered a new OEM shortblock and got my original heads completely redone at a machine shop, new valves, seals etc etc etc. SO when I go to put my new heads on my new block and alight all my timing marks is there any way I can get the timing, say 180 degrees out accidently. I had to remove the cam sprockets on both heads and when I reattach them I want to know if it is possible to have all my marks lined up properly on the sprockets and block but still have the timing off. I'm essentially asking if I rotate the cam sprocket 360 degrees do the valves always come back to the same spot or does it take 2 rotations etc. the machinist told me that as long as my marks are right I'm golden, all my wrenching experience has been with American v style engines which are much more intuitive to set the timing on than a boxer engine. I know you probably see this question a lot but your advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
899 Posts
The cam sprockets can only go on one way. You basically have 3 shafts that can rotate individually (or 5 on the DOHC engines).
One rotation is the same as 2 rotations. There isn't anything mechanical that makes one rotation different from 2 (or 2000) rotations. And that's true for all 3 (or 5) shafts. It's the timing belt that makes the difference.
Just make sure you use the correct timing mark on the crank. There are two, a square and a triangle. You need to use the square!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts