Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester XT Automatic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just got a 2006 Forester XT Auto for my wife to replace the one that was hit by an HGV.
Car drives very well but the temperature gauge is slow to move and sits at the 1st white line and never reaches the mid point.
Her previous car almost instantly got to the midpoint and stayed there.
Do you think this is anything to worry about?
Cambelt kit and water pump were replaced 5000 miles ago.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
162 Posts
Mine (forester and impreza) consistently sit just above the first white mark, a few mm below the centre, and never reach the mid point even on a blast or towing up hills. Subaru rads and dual fans have more capacity than uk climate needs.
However, it should warm up in 2-3 miles max, if its much more than that, it sounds like your thermostat may be sticking open a little?
More cooling is ok, much less harmfull than too little cooling so wouldnt worry too much, but a new genuine subaru thermostat might be worthwhile.
If you buy or borrow a cheapish obd code reader, you could see live, what temperature the cars ECU is seeing, and Im sure plenty of folks here could provide lots of comparative data as to whats " normal"

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
165 Posts
thermostat removed it should make no difference at stop lights, temp should still reach a max point when the fans kick in which is above the temp where the t-stat opens full.

So, I'd suggest fitting an OBD interface and just read the temp from your phone.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,233 Posts
@Charmer
Another thought - The thermostat may be fine and it could be the temp gauge itself that is affected, or the temp sender...
Like @panixgr suggested, an ODB reader will let you know what the temp sender is sending..
The position of the gauge isn't a problem, but if the temp sender is bad and the engine fans don't kick in - that would be a problem.
The computer won't know the actual engine temperature.
Do your radiator fans ever kick on? Does the engine actually not warm up.... I think it worth investigating.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,467 Posts
or - the thermostat may have been removed
im with @Kevin on this , the only way to sort this to have a look , if there is a thermostat in there take it out and put it in a boiling mug of water and see if it opens...….. its quite an easy little job youll need a new gasket.
by the way too little cooling is not good because the oil will never get to the temps its designed to work at plus your gas millage will not be as good as the engine will be fighting against thick oil.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,087 Posts
Unlikely but trapped air somewhere causing the odd reading?
If oil and coolant levels are good and no air in the system, I would be looking to do what Mr @Lockheed suggested

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
165 Posts
@Lockheed I have driven my forester (2.0 DOHC 2009 N/A) for a week without t-stat. It took ages to warm up, but after 10KM at stop lights, still I got those 102C where the fans (low speed) kick in.

·
Administrator
12,328 Posts
Depending on the weather there can be two issues with the thermostat is removed; not warming up properly in colder climates and conversely not holding the coolant long enough in the radiator for effective cooling in hotter climates.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester XT Automatic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Replaced the thermostat today with a genuine Subaru replacement and gasket.
The thermostat that was in there was broken and did not have a proper gasket!
The thermostat was not closing properly as the pin at the top had come away from its proper position. There was no gasket on the thermostat the previous owner/mechanic just used black sealant!
It now looks like it is sorted and the temperature reading is now what I expected, quick to get to midpoint and stays there.
Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts