Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

One option I'm pondering over is the sat nav in my XT. As is well reported it's out if date, it's a pretty clunky bit of kit etc etc at the moment it just sits on the analogue clock..

I've read quite a few guides about, one being by maaark (maybe more a's?), I believe he installed a nexus tablet. A lot of people have started with just a cubby, rather than the actual sat nav. I'm wondering if I can take the screen out and use the existing cubby, or rather how can I take the screen out?

I've seen one other where the buttons are still in place, it seemed tidy, but no guides sadly. (Picture is a screen grab from a youtube video!)

Screenshot_20200219-005149.png

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,471 Posts
I think @highland forry Did a tablet install? Or maybe I imagined it...............
I did...Then made an Odroid type raspberry pie touch screen which I had for a bit until I bought a proper Android Xtrons HU but have since bit the bullet and bought an Alpine INE-W987D which I'll never regret. That in combination with the Harmon Kardon infinity speakers, the Alpine mono block amp and 10" Direct X sub; it sounds brilliant.

I just got so fed up with not having the best quality of sound as I'm a massive audiophile. It also helped I'd just sold my supermoto so had some spare cash.

It really depends on a few things @Ianb1234 .
1. What are you going to use it for?
2. Can you really say to yourself I can do a proper job installing a tablet.
3. Having to switch it off every time you leave the vehicle. (unless you make it removable) This is why I went for the Android Xtrons HU and now at under £160 is a bargain. Also with everything an Android phone has including sat nav, not to mention the startup and shut down times was a must at the time.
4. How much you want to spend on your ICE.

Can I suggest going for an Android head unit as you'll not have much trouble fitting it. I just think a tablet install would be messy.:unsure:

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the info.

@highland forry, no offence taken... although even if you had meant it that way, it'd be a fair comment considering my headlamp advice thread!!!

Basically my set up is the 6 CD changer and sat nav - a là this set up...
20200219_224221.png

Basically imo, the sat nav is useless and I quite liked the idea of using this as a guide:

Obviously I'm not convinced its the best plan, or whether I really should do it or not. I like the idea of keeping the 6CD changer and the tablet would act as a sat nav as well as having the typical functions of an android unit.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,207 Posts
When my factory head unit, I just fitted a simple Pioneer AVH3500DAB or whatever it's called with an AutoLeads adaptor - Very simple instal, then wired the mic and DAB antenna.

I wouldn't want a tablet in the car, probably a bit distracting trying to do even simple things like volume control off it - No idea how people cope with new cars with basically a tablet in the dash.

The factory Nav system still works fine, just no volume but you can fit a speaker if you search for the thread about the pin outs from the factory nav unit.
The mapping is very old though.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's been a while since I read that guide, just looked through it again. Seems like losing the 6disc would be the typical outcome in order to link up the tablet to the head unit etc.

I wouldn't be looking to use the tablet for much other than music/satnav whilst driving, it would basically be an upgraded version of what's there. Seen some cheap nexus tablets on ebay, so would be cheaper than a satnav and would be tidier than having a separate satnav - despite requiring more work.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooops.... cats out the bag. Tbh, CD's have become more prevalent in the Foz now that I don't have Bluetooth or an aux cable plugged in.... one of the reasons I'm thinking of a tablet.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,664 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the info.

@highland forry, no offence taken... although even if you had meant it that way, it'd be a fair comment considering my headlamp advice thread!!!

Basically my set up is the 6 CD changer and sat nav - a là this set up...
View attachment 530190

Basically imo, the sat nav is useless and I quite liked the idea of using this as a guide:

Obviously I'm not convinced its the best plan, or whether I really should do it or not. I like the idea of keeping the 6CD changer and the tablet would act as a sat nav as well as having the typical functions of an android unit.
To be fair that's a good write up.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,471 Posts
There is no DVD/CD drive in the above though Ian, so you've a couple of options with either removing your original HU and installing this and taking the big step into modern times and going to MP3. It's easy to convert all your CD's to MP3 though and save them on the device or even plugging in a HDD or USB stick.

This would allow you to spend more 60's and either do a top cubby pocket or a guage cluster install up top. Or you could keep your original HU; install the above HU in the top and use an RCA / Phono cable to connect to your original HU from the new one to allow audio. That's assuming the old HU has imputs.

Personally I'd buy a double din pocket for the lower HU space and just run the Android HU. Or vice versa a pocket up top and the android below.... Endless options!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
371 Posts
Seems to me something like this would give the cleanest option

I have installed one of their units for the 3rd gen, and its way better than the Pioneer Avix with detachable 4'' gps screen that mine came with originally. Really the only downside is you lose the CD player, which was not an issue for me as most of mine are on a usb now, or in my phone. I can stream and use spotify as well.

·
Registered
06 FSTi
17 Posts
If you do end up swapping out the headunit I can highly recommend the following which i've currently got in my freelander, but will be swapping over to my Forester when I pick it up next month. Just plug in your iPhone/Android and use google maps or another satnav app of your choice. If you have spotify or another music streaming service then thats the music side sorted.

Sony XAV-AX1005DB

Edit: Apparently they have removed the android function. So only apple carplay.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose any android head unit would achieve the same goals as a tablet, but would require less fiddling when it comes to sound going through speakers etc 🤔

Having it up top in the dash satnav area might make it better if I had it running as a satnav.

I suppose I would need to change the housing up top though wouldn't I?

(Checking out all the links everyone is posting btw! Thanks for them!)

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
371 Posts
@Quadraria

😲😲😲 what about my cup holder??
Did not know there was one there. Is it like you used to find in Saabs, and its that vertical slot next to your headunit?
If so I guess the 9'' screen would cover it. In the install pic in the listing, it does not have that slot like yours.
If its at the bottom where that door is, like on some Honda Civics or Acuras, I would think that would still be functional.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,471 Posts
I suppose any android head unit would achieve the same goals as a tablet, but would require less fiddling when it comes to sound going through speakers etc 🤔

Having it up top in the dash satnav area might make it better if I had it running as a satnav.

I suppose I would need to change the housing up top though wouldn't I?

(Checking out all the links everyone is posting btw! Thanks for them!)
I'm sure the android HU I linked would fit up top as they are not as deep as a standard double din HU. However you will have to keep your old sat nav button pad to cover any gap left at the bottom.

Definitely better up top as you said and then just get a double din pocket/cubby to replace your old HU bellow. This won't effect your cup holder :p

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, with this in mind, how do I get the satnav housing off? Looking at the vids of the gauge housings, it seems like it just clips in.. I'm just reluctant to give it a yank just in case it's screwed in 😑

1 - 20 of 26 Posts