Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Subaru Forester, Automatic Transmission with an intermittent fluctuating engine rev problem which I have been trying to resolve for over 2 years now. This is a regular 4-speed Non-Tiptronic transmission. I have tried to work around this problem by putting the car in neutral when it comes to a standstill but this has become frustrating. This happens especially when the AC trips cycles putting a load on the engine causing the rev to fluctuate up and down between 400 & 1000 rpm when car is in “D” mode and comes to a stop. The car will, therefore, lurch forward if the brake is released at higher rev. This problem diminishes slightly when AC is either turned off or I put the car in transmission.
Because the problem was exaggerated when the A/C was on, I focused my attention on the A/C being the cause. However, I discovered something today which could shed new light on the problem which incidentally occurred when the A/C was off.
When the car come to a sudden stop with the transmission in “Drive” mode, within a short time, the engine rev begins to fluctuate. If I then release the brakes during an episode allowing the car to creep forward a bit, the rev stabilizes. On the other hand, if on coming to a stop, I immediately release the brakes allowing the car to creep before the fluctuating begins, the fluctuation does not occur. I further discovered if during an episode I put the transmission into “3” mode, and come to the fluctuation stops. Also, I come to a sudden stop with transmission now in “3” mode, there are no fluctuating issues.
I have tested the brake booster diaphragm and associated vac piping for leakage and there are no issues. The MAF, Throttle Body have been cleaned, spark plugs, air filter changed. There is no Check Engine Light.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,208 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts