Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
17,746 Posts
on only one side (right rear)
I noted the issue only occurs when accelerating so it could be the result of torque bouncing the center bearing to one side.
Revisiting the symptoms I'm going with the center bearing being the issue:
recently got an all wheel alignment, as well as had my tires rotated and balanced
Whenever i accelerate from being stopped, or whenever i try to accelerate coming out of a turn
The harder I accelerate the longer it happens
steering wheel has a slight vibration
entire rear seems to shake
if it does happen it stops as soon as I let off the gas

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I noted the issue only occurs when accelerating so it could be the result of torque bouncing the center bearing to one side.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, it's at 240k so wouldn't surprise me. Should I find a good salvage one or get aftermarket?

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah I'll shop around I guess I'll update once I figure that out, I'll probably take it to the shop and have then give their opinion before I go spending money.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,639 Posts
You could be right.
If it were me I'd make sure I knew what the problem was first.
On a roller stand the issue you described should be reproducible.

If the center bearing is indeed in bad shape (is it?) replacement isn't a bad idea, but it's also possible it is a different issue.

From the OP's description, it didn't seem that the bearing was loose, as he observed only front/back play, not side to side.
Still, under a lot more force than can be provided by a hand, while accelerating, maybe it can be shifted... Maybe not.
The vehicle has also had some suspension mods done, which might have changed the geometry..

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You could be right.
If it were me I'd make sure I knew what the problem was first.
On a roller stand the issue you described should be reproducible.

If the center bearing is indeed in bad shape (is it?) replacement isn't a bad idea, but it's also possible it is a different issue.

From the OP's description, it didn't seem that the bearing was loose, as he observed only front/back play, not side to side.
Still, under a lot more force than can be provided by a hand, while accelerating, maybe it can be shifted... Maybe not.
The vehicle has also had some suspension mods done, which might have changed the geometry..

It will be interesting to see the outcome.
I don't hear any weird noises or anything while I'm driving, I've read that if the bearing is bad it will produce some weird sounds that get louder with acceleration.
But since I replaced all the strut assemblies it's quiet as can be, even going over speed bumps pretty fast.
So I'm not sure if the bearing itself is bad but I think the rubber surrounding it probably is.
I did find a driveshaft on car-part.com for $80 that has less than 100k on it but it says rear, everything I've found seems like it's all one assembly but there seems to be front and rear on there.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,639 Posts
Bad wheel bearings is probably what you are referring to, and the pitch will change with speed.
After looking at the video I missed as @Kevin pointed out, that shaft bearing looks pretty sloppy.

It still seems odd how that would translate to what you observe, (single side vs center) and with clockwise crank rotation (viewed from the front) you would expect the bearing torque effect cause to be more pronounced on the opposite (left) side.. Still seems like a bit of a mystery to me.
It's your bet, but it may still be worth a diagnostic fee, especially for an expensive part replacement.
Your call. Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bad wheel bearings is probably what you are referring to, and the pitch will change with speed.
After looking at the video I missed as @Kevin pointed out, that shaft bearing looks pretty sloppy.

It still seems odd how that would translate to what you observe, (single side vs center) and with clockwise crank rotation (viewed from the front) you would expect the bearing torque effect cause to be more pronounced on the opposite (left) side.. Still seems like a bit of a mystery to me.
It's your bet, but it may still be worth a diagnostic fee, especially for an expensive part replacement.
Your call. Good luck in any case.
Well I'm not a hundred percent sure that's what's the wobble is from but I have a lot of vibration when I'm accelerating at first so either way that probably needs replaced. I was just gonna start there and see if it helps at all. My local Goodyear does free diagnoses thankfully.

·
Registered
1998 FORESTER
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Forester X automatic, 240k miles, did an engine swap at 200k and the new engine had an estimated 40-60k miles on it. Has 2 inch strut spacers and oversized tires.
This problem has just started in the last couple of months. Whenever i accelerate from being stopped, or whenever i try to accelerate coming out of a turn, the rear right tire seems to wobble. It feels like bouncing up and down, like a vertical vibration. The harder I accelerate the longer it happens for, if I let off the gas it will stop. It goes away once I get going, but entire rear seems to shake when I'm getting up to speed. Also my steering wheel has a slight vibration at highway speeds.
I've noticed also when I was going real slow and it did it, that I could hear that tire rubbing like it didn't have traction. This may be what's happening at the slightly higher speed as well. It seems like that tire is not turning at the same speed as the others causing it to do this.
There is nothing visually wrong or bad in the suspension, and I recently got an all wheel alignment, as well as had my tires rotated and balanced. I also had neglected to change my diff fluids so I just recently changed those out and also my transmission fluid. I am thinking the issue lies within my rear diff possibly. I took it to my local Goodyear for a free diagnosis, but they said they could not replicate the issue, which I found odd since I have to consciously drive a certain way to keep it from happening.
Any input is much appreciated, I've scoured the internet looking for something that looked like the same symptoms but was unable to find anything.

·
Registered
1998 FORESTER
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Forester X automatic, 240k miles, did an engine swap at 200k and the new engine had an estimated 40-60k miles on it. Has 2 inch strut spacers and oversized tires.
This problem has just started in the last couple of months. Whenever i accelerate from being stopped, or whenever i try to accelerate coming out of a turn, the rear right tire seems to wobble. It feels like bouncing up and down, like a vertical vibration. The harder I accelerate the longer it happens for, if I let off the gas it will stop. It goes away once I get going, but entire rear seems to shake when I'm getting up to speed. Also my steering wheel has a slight vibration at highway speeds.
I've noticed also when I was going real slow and it did it, that I could hear that tire rubbing like it didn't have traction. This may be what's happening at the slightly higher speed as well. It seems like that tire is not turning at the same speed as the others causing it to do this.
There is nothing visually wrong or bad in the suspension, and I recently got an all wheel alignment, as well as had my tires rotated and balanced. I also had neglected to change my diff fluids so I just recently changed those out and also my transmission fluid. I am thinking the issue lies within my rear diff possibly. I took it to my local Goodyear for a free diagnosis, but they said they could not replicate the issue, which I found odd since I have to consciously drive a certain way to keep it from happening.
Any input is much appreciated, I've scoured the internet looking for something that looked like the same symptoms but was unable to find anything.
I am wondering if it is the AWD engagement clutch acting up......had a Subaru with a similar problem.

·
Registered
2015 ; 2.5i ; 15,000 Miles (I drive a lot less than I used to !!!!)
174 Posts
Mine moves no more than 5mm / .25 inch when I try and move it.
View attachment 558165
Propeller-Shaft-Movement : None of those items are supposed to move any amount, except in a perfect circular manner ! Also, your "description" of your tire(s) "hopping, skipping, and jumping" going down the road is a phenomena that I have never heard of before : maybe you should try to describe it in more traditional terms !!!!!! Like, does the car itself performs these unusual gyrations, and you are assuming the tire is doing/causing it; or do you actually know that the tire itself is doing this ??? If the tire is performing such unusual actions, then the tread should show extremely unusual and severe wear patterns; if the tire tread if very normal, than it can not be the point of problem ... keep looking at other drive-line/suspension components .

·
Administrator
17,746 Posts
@Marv2 Of course it has some intended movement; it has rubber mountings. Note that the inspection states to "Move the propeller shaft" and look for "abnormal free play" not "no free play":
Font Pattern Art Magenta Number

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Propeller-Shaft-Movement : None of those items are supposed to move any amount, except in a perfect circular manner ! Also, your "description" of your tire(s) "hopping, skipping, and jumping" going down the road is a phenomena that I have never heard of before : maybe you should try to describe it in more traditional terms !!!!!! Like, does the car itself performs these unusual gyrations, and you are assuming the tire is doing/causing it; or do you actually know that the tire itself is doing this ??? If the tire is performing such unusual actions, then the tread should show extremely unusual and severe wear patterns; if the tire tread if very normal, than it can not be the point of problem ... keep looking at other drive-line/suspension components .
It's for sure the tire i can hear and feel it, It happened when I was going real slow once and I heard my tire rub the ground on that corner like it was moving at a different speed than the others. AWD engagement clutch kind of sounds like it might be something.
Basically the best way i can describe it is a wheel wobble lol I'm not sure about the tread because it was already uneven from me having trouble finding a shop that could align it so i was driving with it out of alignment for awhile, which made it wear pretty unevenly already. I just had my tires rotated too so it's hard to know.
Oh and also no other suspension components are bad. Everything's as it should be.
Yeah I've come to the conclusion from everyone's feedback that I just need to replace the driveshaft, it is original and has 242k on it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Alright so if my problem is with the AWD engagement clutch, I would probably be better off just changing the whole transmission i think. It looks like you have to open it up anyways to change it and it has such high miles seems like I might as well just replace the whole thing. Found one with like 80k on it for around 600.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts