Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Forester X automatic, 240k miles, did an engine swap at 200k and the new engine had an estimated 40-60k miles on it. Has 2 inch strut spacers and oversized tires.
This problem has just started in the last couple of months. Whenever i accelerate from being stopped, or whenever i try to accelerate coming out of a turn, the rear right tire seems to wobble. It feels like bouncing up and down, like a vertical vibration. The harder I accelerate the longer it happens for, if I let off the gas it will stop. It goes away once I get going, but entire rear seems to shake when I'm getting up to speed. Also my steering wheel has a slight vibration at highway speeds.
I've noticed also when I was going real slow and it did it, that I could hear that tire rubbing like it didn't have traction. This may be what's happening at the slightly higher speed as well. It seems like that tire is not turning at the same speed as the others causing it to do this.
There is nothing visually wrong or bad in the suspension, and I recently got an all wheel alignment, as well as had my tires rotated and balanced. I also had neglected to change my diff fluids so I just recently changed those out and also my transmission fluid. I am thinking the issue lies within my rear diff possibly. I took it to my local Goodyear for a free diagnosis, but they said they could not replicate the issue, which I found odd since I have to consciously drive a certain way to keep it from happening.
Any input is much appreciated, I've scoured the internet looking for something that looked like the same symptoms but was unable to find anything.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
133 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would maybe take a technician out with me for a ride, to make sure you can duplicate the problem. Maybe you ride shotgun, and tell them what to do. It sounds like you are knowledgeable about your vehicle, and I applaud your keeping a good old one on the road. Hopefully you can get this sorted out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
@rosco420i Possibly a blown / bent rear strut. Seems the shock absorber in the strut cannot control the rear spring which lets the wheel bounce. Just by looking at the strut the problem will not be seen unless there is oil leaking from the strut. Do you know if you have self-leveling suspension in the rear?

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Kevin I actually just changed all 4 struts and springs. Kyb struts and strut mounts with king springs. So they're all brand new. I'm not sure about self leveling suspension.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would maybe take a technician out with me for a ride, to make sure you can duplicate the problem. Maybe you ride shotgun, and tell them what to do. It sounds like you are knowledgeable about your vehicle, and I applaud your keeping a good old one on the road. Hopefully you can get this sorted out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. Yeah it's super reliable most of the time if you keep up with maintenance.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,197 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I mean I know about that. It's fine on bumps and everything, it only does if when I'm accelerating from a stop, doesn't seem like that's what it would be, but idk.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what led me to suspect the strut.

Also, check the propeller shaft centre bearing for excessive movement.
View attachment 558164
So i just went and did this, the front shaft moves forward and back just a little bit.
Where the circular part is in between them, which I'm assuming is the center bearing, it has quite a bit of play up and down, not sure if this is normal or not.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If i do end up replacing the driveshaft assembly, is it better to get OEM or does it matter much for that?

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
That seems to be a fair bit of movement but let's get opinions from others as well. I've not had to replace my center bearing so I do not know what choices are out there.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That seems to be a fair bit of movement but let's get opinions from others as well. I've not had to replace my center bearing so I do not know what choices are out there.
Looks like if I want oem it's almost twice the price. I'm sure it needs to be replaced as it is definitely original, the only things I haven't changed on it are the driveshaft, diffs, and trans. Probably a new trans mount wouldn't hurt as well.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,619 Posts
Replacing a good part with a new part only affects your wallet...
Have you had your tire(s) checked for balance? Could be at least a contributing factor...
Butch_Coolidge made a good suggestion.
I'd add that it might be possible to find the issue if the car was up on rollers...

·
Registered
309 Posts
^ . . . which is pretty thin nowadays. And it gets my hands greasy.
The latter is no big deal, The former is becoming more and more of a concern as time goes by.

@rosco420i -- best wishes and good luck!

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Replacing a good part with a new part only affects your wallet...
Have you had your tire(s) checked for balance? Could be at least a contributing factor...
Butch_Coolidge made a good suggestion.
I'd add that it might be possible to find the issue if the car was up on rollers...
Yeah that is definitely true, and yeah I just had them rotated and balanced, didn't make a difference.
That's probably what I will do, and now I can at least have them check my shaft.
I pretty much just have to accelerate very slowly at first to keep it from happening, and if it does happen it stops as soon as I let off the gas. If that info helps at all. Seems significant.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,619 Posts
You definitely should figure out what's going on..
The odd thing is with an issue apparently on only one side (right rear) the drive shaft wouldn't be my first guess.
And it's only a guess...
Good luck..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts