Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester XT Automatic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am getting a small amount of water in the driver's side Fog Lamp.
I have gone under the car to make sure the bulb holder was sitting correctly. It was and I can twist and lock the bulb holder but in about 10 days there will be condensation on the lens and a small puddle of water at the base of the lamp.
Has anyone else had this and any recommendations for fixing it?
Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Fozzie Sport
42 Posts
Not sure if it's a great idea, but it will definitely work.

My 2001 Toyota Camry (God rest her frame) had this problem. The shop told me it was the seal on headlight casing and recommended a I buy a new set of headlight assemblies. Wanted like $600 for the assemblies, and another $300 for install.

I fixed it for free by drilling two small holes. One at the low point to drain water, and one at the high point to allow the moisture to dissipate.

The hole was small so rain droplets wouldn't get in, and after the water drained out the bottom, the two holes would allow air flow which let the lamp dry out.

I don't remember the drill bit size, but it was tiny, like 1/16 or something.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
785 Posts
I've done the same thing with an action camera. I drilled the holes so that forward movement would draw air out of the housing. Of course the hole were not in a position to collect water from any angle.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
The lamp has a vent at the top, probably only visible when it is removed from its mounting bracket.
Hat Grass Toy Fashion accessory Font

Water Auto part Engineering Event Metal

Reactions: Charmer

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,708 Posts

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Most lights have some sort of vent to allow for air/condensation release, lights get hot - air expands, it needs somewhere to go. How waterproof they are depends on the design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts