Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FXT Auto
68 Posts
Same story as been told before. bought an 06 fxt at 34k from a dealer on long island, CEL 3 weeks later. took to a local shop (up by albany) and $800 later had a new valve. (oct 09) the LI dealer actually paid for the repair, which was stand-up on their part. but now at 65k that damned thing is back, and of course over the 12 month warranty from the last job. this is just ridiculous.

putting my call into SOA and going to check out that link above for the federal emissions.

·
Registered
2007 FXT 5MT
187 Posts
Got the P2441 code last week (66k), cleared the CEL this weekend and back this morning. Debating on which method to take care of this, does pulling the fuses for this system stop the cel like I had read on Nasioc? Need to get an inspection this month so I need to get this taken care of.

Would it be better to just get an AP and go that route? At this point it would be cheaper than the repair cost and having to do it again in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I have just gotten this cel code as well.. I went to my workshop n they say the EGR (that round black plastic thingy near the battery) is dead... And that I need to go back to my tuner to have the codes "remove" permanently... The workshops are only able to remove the code temporarily n that the cel/cruise light will appear again on the next cold start...

So I went back to my tuner n have it removed, it's a simple 15mins job... After that no issues at all... I haven't removed the EGR though...

·
Registered
2011 2.5XT Touring
9 Posts
I got the same code on my 07 STi, I "fixed" it by blocking the code with my Cobb AP and it has not been a problem since.

·
Registered
2006 FXT Auto
68 Posts
update from SOA

just got this reply...not best case but it's something...keep sending those complaints in!

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. as it relates to a recurring concern with the check engine light in your 2006 Subaru Forester.

I had the opportunity to review our records on your vehicle and can assure you that there are no recalls and/or service campaigns associated with your vehicle as it relates to this or any other concern. Additionally, I don't see that there have been similar repairs performed on this vehicle while it was under the manufacturer's warranty. While certainly unfortunate, it is not entirely impossible for such a component to fail when out of warranty.

However, given the fact that this recent failure is the same component, I would be willing to offer you a one time goodwill 50% reimbursement on the repair, as I am unable to offer full assistance because I would have no way of justifying that to the customers who have purchased our Subaru Added Security Policy which would have fully covered this repair.

This offer is being made entirely in the interest of customer satisfaction. Should you choose to accept this offer, please fax your paid receipt and proof of payment to directly to my attention at 1-856-488-3299, attention the service request number below and I will reimburse you the aforementioned amount.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc.

Regards,

Jody Cullen

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
I'm awaiting the inevitable...I have not received the codes yet, but I did just buy a used/working set of valves and pump for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
I just shut off any/ all codes related to secondary air pump system with my tactrix.
I've got block-off plates and will be removing the system soon.

·
Registered
0000 black,black 30lb flywheel
47 Posts
+1 for the list
07 fxt 4eat at 37xxx miles
dealer wanted $1800 +diagnostics
went through the whole "what do you mean an emissions air pump is not covered under the emissions equipment warranty"

currently unprogrammed with race tuner need to the the tactrix version

because of this it is the last subaru i will buy (after 9 in a row)

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Touring Auto
177 Posts
You guys are speaking Greek to me. I have no plan to buy one of those tuners yet as my car has only 300 miles but I am just curious. Can any idiot (eg. myself) do this using Cobb AccessPORT? Is this idiot proof? In other words, if I screw up something, what's the worst thing that can happen? Is there a "reset" button? Do mechanics all have this? Any concerns regarding state emissions inspections?

·
Registered
2006 XTA
556 Posts
would really like to do something to avoid this problem on my '06 XT. Not living in a big city I imagine it would be hard to find tuners to cancel codes etc.

I'm spraying dewaterer/lubricant down the airpump pipe to the valves regularly - is there a way I can easily dewater the airpump itself?
Can I maybe remove the plastic "snail" cover and spray into there?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Limited
53 Posts
Add me to this list. :icon_cry:

2007 Forester XT with about 44k miles and dash lit up like a Xmas tree (CEL, flashing cruise, stability). Dealer pulled the following codes:

P1410
P2431
P2432
P2444

Wanted $900+ for labor and parts to replace one of the secondary air valves because, of course, my 36k warranty has expired :icon_mad: I took one of the valves out, cleaned it, reinstalled, and cleared codes with a scangauge. All was well for about two weeks until today, where P2431, P2432, and P2444 have appeared again. I'm pissed off and don't feel like replacing a $300 valve that will only fail again (as I've read from other accounts) due to a bad design.

Anyhow, I'm looking at doing the delete mod to be rid of this issue entirely.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
153 Posts
What a disturbing turn of events. My 06 XT (only 40k miles) has just started the CEL/flashing cruise thing. I had the codes read: P2444 and P2433 and I have just spent the last hour and a half reading all the various entries at the several spots here on SF.org. I don't often use cruise, so that's not important. I do have an AP and so will need to learn how to erase or delete things if that can be done (I've only loaded a map heretofore). There is no professional tuner anywhere near here. And $1800 is part of the guest bathroom renovation. I wouldn't care to ask.....

So what happens if the thing is not fixed? Will it impact the car's performance or harm the motor? Here in Florida we don't have emissions tests, certifications, etc. so that's not an issue. What risk do I take if I just keep driving? I cannot tell any difference right now in ordinary commuter driving.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
2006 XTA
556 Posts
Anybody know how to stop water getting into the airpump and the valves in the first place?

It's the only way I can think of to prevent this problem other than spraying WD40 into the hose regularly which I'm doing.
I had a look into my airpump and it was dry inside.
Can't see how moisture can corrode those valves any other way. I would imagine It must get pretty hot where the valves are situated.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow, I didnt expect this problem was so common among us. I started the thread back in 2009 and never really came back and checked.

I can say up to this date, the car still runs fine after the dealer fixing them. Seeing those cost to other members led me wondering if there is a way to stop the water filling without removing it. Not that I dont trust the ecu flash, but its probably better to keep the original design for long run, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT
19 Posts
I had my air valves replaced under the extended plan a few months ago. Had 96k before they went though. It seems almost to be more time related than mileage.

·
Registered
2006 XTA
556 Posts
If the problem is caused by corrosion of the airvalves then it would be time and not mileage causing it. Replacement valves are plastic coated to prevent the corrosion. the cause of the corrosion seems unclear - moisture from airpump or from exhaust?
All I can come up with is to regularly spray lubricant down the airpipe and do a few quick starts with engine cold to work the valves.
I haven't been able to ascertain if the valves work just by turning on the ignition, or as the motor starts up when cold. It would be good to know this.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
The valves only open when the pump is running. To work the valves without the pump you have to connect the two green diagnostic connecters under the dash.

Max.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts